Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Strauß <t....@srs-management.de> on 2008/11/05 14:44:57 UTC

Issues with Tomcat 5.5.25, isapi_redirect2.dll, IIS6, load balancer setup

Hi all,

I have an issue with the isapi_redirect2 setup. I would like to drive the redirector with load balancing. Is it required to have a tomcat cluster for this setup?

I have attached my workers2.properties.

The issue I see is, that as soon as I add a group=lb to anything the EventLog exposes "[jk_isapi_plugin.c (496)]: HttpExtensionProc worker is NULL" warning and the request is not forwarded to Tomcat.

I am using redirect dll from the  jk2.0.4-win32-IIS binary distribution.

ANY ideas?

The logfiles / eventlog do not expose anything unusual up to the point "... is NULL" mentioned above.

With kind regards,

Thomas Strauß

AW: Issues with Tomcat 5.5.25, isapi_redirect2.dll, IIS6, load balancer setup (solved)

Posted by Thomas Strauß <t....@srs-management.de>.
Hi,

got it running now.

The issue is described in the Bug database. It is actually an issue with the documentation:

You need to put everything between [] as the group name. So in my case, replace every group=ldb with group=lb:ldb and balancing works.

Now I have to find out how I can avoid a non-working balancer to be used. The redirected application is not started on one tomcat and returns 503. Can the balancer handle that situation on a per redirected context basis?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thomas Strauß
Geschäftsführer Entwicklung

SRS PaperDynamix®
DIGITAL SCHON AUF DEM PAPIER

SRS-Management GmbH
Berliner Ring 93
64625 Bensheim
T +49 6251 85 424 - 20
F +49 6251 85 424 - 14
M +49 174 2110912

www.srs-management.de
www.srs-paperdynamix.de

HRB 25262 AG Darmstadt
Geschäftsführer: Detlev Homilius, Thomas Strauß

I have an issue with the isapi_redirect2 setup. I would like to drive the redirector with load balancing. Is it required to have a tomcat cluster for this setup?

I have now embedded my workers2.properties.

The issue I see is, that as soon as I add a group=lb to anything the EventLog exposes "[jk_isapi_plugin.c (496)]: HttpExtensionProc worker is NULL" warning and the request is not forwarded to Tomcat.

I am using redirect dll from the  jk2.0.4-win32-IIS binary distribution.

ANY ideas?

The logfiles / eventlog do not expose anything unusual up to the point "... is NULL" mentioned above.

With kind regards,

Thomas Strauß

[logger.win32]
level=DEBUG
ver=5

[workerEnv]
ver=2

[shm]
ver=0
info=Scoreboard. Requried for reconfiguration and status with multiprocess servers.
file=${serverRoot}/logs/jk2.shm
size=1000000
debug=10
disabled=0

# Defines a load balancer named lb. Use even if you only have one machine.
[lb:ldb]
ver=3
debug=10

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:213.188.106.35:18009]
ver=5
port=18009
host=213.188.106.35
tomcatId=213.188.106.35:18009
graceful=0
debug=10
group=ldb

# define the worker
[ajp13:213.188.106.35:18009]
ver=2
channel=channel.socket:213.188.106.35:18009
debug=10
group=ldb

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:213.188.106.35_2:9009]
ver=5
port=9009
host=213.188.106.35
tomcatId=213.188.106.35:9009
graceful=0
debug=10
group=ldb

[ajp13:213.188.106.35_2:9009]
ver=3
debug=10
channel=channel.socket:213.188.106.35_2:9009
group=ldb

# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space [uri:/axis]
ver=1
group=ldb
debug=10

[uri:/axis/*]
ver=2
group=ldb

# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space [uri:/generic25ASH] ver=0 #group=ldb

[uri:/probe/*]
ver=0
#group=ldb

[uri:/generic25ASH/*]
ver=0
#group=ldb

[uri:/examples/*]
ver=0
#group=ldb

[status:]
ver=0
info=Status worker, displays runtime information

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
ver=0
info=The Tomcat /jkstatus handler
group=status:

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner<http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is believed to be clean.

AW: Issues with Tomcat 5.5.25, isapi_redirect2.dll, IIS6, load balancer setup

Re: Issues with Tomcat 5.5.25, isapi_redirect2.dll, IIS6, load balancer setup

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Thomas Strauß schrieb:
> I have an issue with the isapi_redirect2 setup. I would like to drive
> the redirector with load balancing. Is it required to have a tomcat
> cluster for this setup?

No, but you have to set jvmRoute according to the worker names for all
nodes in your Tomcat farm. Cluster in the sense of group membership and
session replication is not necessarily needed.

Don't use isapi_redirector2 any more. It was deprecated years ago. Use
isapi_redrector (tomcat-connectors) instead.

See:

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi

and

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/