Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu> on 2014/06/30 20:54:28 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_macro cause delay before virtual host sites available after graceful?

When we do a graceful restart there is a delay of 30-40 seconds each time accessing each of our virtual hosts.

Accessing the server itself has no delay.

We noticed this after we implemented mod_macro, but it affects all virtual hosts, not just the mod_macro sites.

This had not been an issue previously, for several months.

Any ideas?

Re: [users@httpd] mod_macro cause delay before virtual host sites available after graceful?

Posted by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu>.
To clarify, the delay is only initially after the graceful. Once they load, things are fine from then on.

Also, we do notice  a much larger number of "internal dummy connection" entries in the access_log immediately after each graceful recently as compared with the previous  months.

From: Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>>
Date: Monday, June 30, 2014 3:22 PM
To: "users@httpd.apache.org<ma...@httpd.apache.org>" <us...@httpd.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] mod_macro cause delay before virtual host sites available after graceful?

On 06/30/2014 02:54 PM, Rose, John B wrote:
When we do a graceful restart there is a delay of 30-40 seconds each time accessing each of our virtual hosts.

Accessing the server itself has no delay.

We noticed this after we implemented mod_macro, but it affects all virtual hosts, not just the mod_macro sites.

This had not been an issue previously, for several months.

Any ideas?

How many macros do you have defined? 40 seconds seems *really* long unless you have a HUGE number of macros that it has to chunk through.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com<ma...@rcbowen.com> - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [users@httpd] mod_macro cause delay before virtual host sites available after graceful?

Posted by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu>.
We have one virtual host defined via mod_macro method.

The others have their own .conf

Posted by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu>.
I meant to send this earlier.

We ended up changing some settings in the httpd.conf file, graceful restart, and this issue seems to have gone away. However, it had run for months, and several graceful's, without that issue with the old httpd.conf settings.

KeepAlive had been off and MaxClients was unusually high. Those were changed to be more in line with what documentation suggests.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu>.
Thanks

We will try that

From: Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, June 30, 2014 3:36 PM
To: "users@httpd.apache.org<ma...@httpd.apache.org>" <us...@httpd.apache.org>>

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Rose, John B <jb...@utk.edu>> wrote:
When we do a graceful restart there is a delay of 30-40 seconds each time accessing each of our virtual hosts.

Accessing the server itself has no delay.

We noticed this after we implemented mod_macro, but it affects all virtual hosts, not just the mod_macro sites.

This had not been an issue previously, for several months.

Any ideas?

Slow DNS lookup perhaps?

Run strace with timestamps against the httpd parent process before initiating graceful restart, and see if you can locate the delays between recognizable processing.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: [users@httpd] mod_macro cause delay before virtual host sites available after graceful?