Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au> on 2006/09/05 17:08:10 UTC

I'm importing a large(ish) amount of product data into OFBiz, and am
wondering about the best approach...\

My data is drawn from the book industry, so I have products that have
additional features/attributes/content that I would like to display
and/or search on.

Take a book's author for example. Right now, I am importing the author's
name, storing it as a Feature, and then linking that feature to the
books he has authored.

This works well, except that when I want to search on author, I go to
feature type is populated by only a subset of the available authors. Eg,
I have 25000 authors in the DB, but only those up to surnames starting
with "B" are available in the drop down.

Is there a configuration option to allow me to specify a free-form text
box for the Author search, rather than a drop-down?

Is there a better way to handle this type of data? I looked at Product
Content, but I couldn't see whether it was possible to search on
Content. What about using Product Attributes instead? Same problem?

Advice appreciated,

Cheers, Iain

Re: Advanced searching

Posted by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au>.
David,

I have a bit of a problem with keywords. The strategy I'm adopting is to
selectively extract the product info I need from another database, and
directly insert this into OFBiz (writing the SQL for this is much
simpler and orders of magnitude faster than using the entity engine).
Once I've got the data into OFBiz, I thought I'd then be able to invoke
the Auto Create Keywords function to generate the keywords, and hence
leverage that powerful component of searching.

The problem is, when I invoke the keyword creation, I get a java
out-of-memory exception (after a while). I've had a quick look through
the code to see if there are any obvious memory leaks, but I don't know
too much about java's memory management. Is the keyword generation meant
to be scalable to handle arbitrarily large data sets? My current data
set has about 25000 product records that I'm trying to keyword (I'll
have hundreds of thousands of records when/if I'm done).

Cheers, Iain

Re: Advanced searching

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.