Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "bodo@tanzerei.com" <bo...@tanzerei.com> on 2001/08/27 12:18:51 UTC

keep-with-next problem on multi column text

hi,
i tried to use the keep-with-next property on a multi column page with
some  text blocks that  normally fits on one page with 4 columns.
my text consists of this sequence of text blocks: every 2nd block is
meant to be a headline and  the the following block is the paragraph
belonging to that headline.
therefore i set the keep-with-next attribute on the headline blocks but
still the column break occurred between the headline and the paragraph.

looking in to the code i found that  in
org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Area) the line:
this.keepWithNext =
                            this.properties.get("keep-with-next").getEnum();

does not have any effect , since the getEnum() method always returns (0)
because the
org.apache.fop.fo.KeepProperty(Keep) does not overwrite the getEnum()
method.

so i patched this so that this.keepWithNext got the value="5" (just to
see what will happen then ) but immediately  i run in to another error:
the headline appeared on the bottom of the old column, a wrong page
break occurred (instead of a column break)
and the same headline appeared on the top of the new page.

if nobody else is currently working on this problems i would be willing
to do this, if i (as a someone who just started to try to understand the
fop source code) get some assistance from the fop gurus.

would you appreciate this?

bodo teichmann

Re: keep-with-next problem on multi column text

Posted by Don Wellington <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Arved-

I didn't get any reply that the patch was comitted,
and I am stuck behind a firewall that doesn't allow IP
tunneling. So, I don't have access to the CVS
repository.

Don

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Keep in mind that attempting to implement keeps this way is essentially a
stopgap measure. It is quite unlikely that the code will be useable for all
situations and will most likely be replaced.
As you outlined below there are a number of issues that make the current
implementation complicated and will eventually lead to complex
unmaintainable code.

As far as the project is concerned it would be better to implement these
things properly with a good plan on how to approach it from scratch.

On the other hand it may be useful to have some small part implement for
your needs and give you a chance to know how the code works.

Posted by Don Wellington <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bodo-

First, I don't think I qualify as better overlooking
FOP, since my one and only contribution is getting
that list-item thing to do what I wanted. But, here
are some things I found out during that process, and
answered below:

--- "bodo@tanzerei.com" <bo...@tanzerei.com> wrote:
> Hi Don, Arved
> i would be greatfull to work with someone on a
> related problem, who
> better overlooks FOP then i do at the moment .
> right now i have some questions:
>
> 1. i do not fully understand about the numerical and
> symbolic values for
> the keep-* stuff.
> the standard says (in "4.8 Keeps and Breaks") that
> there is any interger
> value allowed which specify the "strength", whereas
> higher number means
> more strength is imposed on the keep condition. in
> other words the
> bigger the values is the more the fo-processor
> should try to keep the
> stuff together, right?   but there are in addition
> to symbolic values
> "auto" (which means no keep condition) and "always"
> (which means " keep
> always ") .
> on the other hand in FOP   "always" is mapped to "5"
> in fop and "auto"
> is mapped to "7".
> which would mean only the values 5,6 and 7 are
> meaningfull  and moreover
> it looks as if the always should actually at least
> be greater then "auto".
> could you help me reducing my confusion?

Maybe it would be easiest to just start with binary,
either attempt to keep-with-next, or don't attempt.
That might be a simpler case than trying to figure out
how to define the various levels of keepness.  To me
it seems that would be most cases because either you
can keep-with-next, or you can't because the keeped
parts would overflow the column or page. That is a bug
in what I did because overflow would cause an infinite
loop.

> 2. i'm unsure about the "within-*" (e.g.
> "within-page") property
> refinement.
> if for example, i have a block with
> keep-with-next.within-page="always" but
> keep-with-next.within-column="auto"
> does this mean that i should make a page break
> before that block if
>  normaly the pagebreak would occure after it. but i
> should not start new
> column before that block instead let occure the
> column break after this
> block as if no keep-with-next property would have
> been set, right?

I was focused on the keep-with-next.within-page, so I
am not really familiar with column handling.

> 3. i don't yet understand how the mechanics of the
> FONode.rollback()
> works. it seems it has something to do with undoing
> layout operations in
> order to redoing this part of the  layout with eg.
> different column or
> page breaks (e.g. if a keep condition occured that
> could not be
> fulfilled). am i on the right trak here? do you any
> more details on
> that, or do i need just to look more deeply in to
> the source?

I was looking at rollback, and it didn't seem to undo
layouts.  Instead I set up a Vector in FOnode to
contain a list of areas that a node creates, then
filled in FONode.removeAreas() to remove the areas
using that list.  Then, I changed block to add the
area it creates to that list.  Then, set the marker to
a value that will cause areas to be recreated, but not
do anything to IDs (couldn't figure out how to back
out ID's so didn't worry about it). The algorithm I
see for keep-with-next:

A node layout returns keep-with-next
Set flag active for keep-with-next(page or column)
Attempt to layout next node
If next node layout returns AREA_FULL_NONE
determine if full area is a page or a column
If full area match with-(page/column)
remove areas created by previous node
set marker to prior to layout of previous node (I
think I have remove doing this.)
Return AREA_FULL_SOME

Seems fairly simple. Here are the gotchas.
1) Preventing infinite loops.  If you have both areas
combined overflow the column of page, then it is
impossible to keep-with-next.
2) I think a marker needs to be enumerated for setup
done no area created.  Say AREAS_READY_TO_BE_CREATED =
-42, or possibly 0, since block uses the marker to
designate which subnodes have been created so far.
Basically, I think the use of marker needs to be
fomalized somewhat.
3) Does undoing areas cause problems with the ID code?
If so, how do we undo IDs too?

I hope that helps Bodo.

Don

Posted by "bodo@tanzerei.com" <bo...@tanzerei.com>.