Posted to dev@livy.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2018/10/04 21:30:40 UTC

Possible missing mentor(s)

Hi,

We had a number of discussion on general@ over the past few months about missing mentors. A few weeks back I sent an email to the person/people listed below because we think that may be missing mentor and got no response. If they could respond here (CCing me) here staying they want to continue as a mentor for this prodding that would be great help.

Mentor(s) we tried to contact and didn't respond:
Brock Noland

If I made an error and they have been active then apologies in advance.

Thanks,
Justin
(V.P. Incubator)

Re: Possible missing mentor(s)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have discussed missing mentors on the incubator general list, identified those who may be missing and over a couple of months tried to contact your mentor in several ways but have got no reply so they have been removed from the roster.
>
> If this is error, and your mentor is actually active, please contact me and I'll add them back to the roster.
>
> The IPMC will also do what it can to find extra mentors for those podling that need them.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
> (V.P. Incubator)

Just FYI, I am around...

Also, note that sometimes these messages get lost on the Gmail
threading feature when it's copied into multiple podlings with the
same subject line.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

RE: Possible missing mentor(s)

Posted by Alex Bozarth <aj...@us.ibm.com>.
Sorry for my delayed weigh-in as a committer, I was on (a rare) vacation.
As for the discussion, I agree with Marco's points. As far as I go, the
PR's I've been pinged on are either WIP or changes were requested and then
left hanging. Also as many have said, if I'm not pinged I don't usually
check on open PRs since I haven't have bandwidth for Livy development
recently. For PRs I do believe things could be better, but I also believe
that Livy's handling of open PRs is approximately the same as other
projects like Spark (not to say that's necessarily a positive). It also may
be time to start pruning hanging PRs: pinging creators on PRs left with
unaddressed change requests and closing them if there's no response in a
set time, closing PRs that have been discussed and seemingly rejected,
requesting reviewers for PRs that are active but without reviews. This is
something Spark does regularly but after 2 years we've yet to do. We could
also offer the dev list an opportunity to resurrect PRs abandoned by their
original dev before closing them if another dev wants to continue work on
it.

 Alex Bozarth
 Software Engineer
 Center for Open-Source Data & AI Technologies

 E-mail: ajbozart@us.ibm.com
 GitHub: github.com/ajbozarth
                                                                   505 Howard Street
                                                             San Francisco, CA 94105
                                                                       United States

From:	Marco Gaido <ma...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@livy.incubator.apache.org
Cc:	Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org>
Date:	09/02/2019 02:01 AM
Subject:	[EXTERNAL] Re: Possible missing mentor(s)

Sid, answering to the PRs you pointed out, I think open meisam's PRs are:
 - 1 WIP;
 - 1 changes were requested and he has not done them;
 - 1 I commented on it and it was stated that the feature could have been
merged if the PR is brought up to date, which hasn't so far by the
contributor.

Moreover, I have never seen on the PRs committers getting pinged. IMHO,
those PRs are stuck due to the inactivity of the contributor.
Surely we have to do more in order to be able to review more PRs, but, as
Saisai said, we are stil a small community with few active committers, so
we try and do our best.
More importantly, I think there is really no evidence at all of the alleged
bias.

In general, I think we all know that you need to be very active in the
community to avoid PRs getting stale. This is true also for bigger
communities like Spark.
So what I'd encourage is also more proactivity by the contributors. I think
the message should not be: "I open a PR and committer must immediately
merge it"; but "I open a PR, I ask for committers' help on reviews and try
and push in order to have it in if the PR is important".

Thanks,
Marco

Il giorno dom 1 set 2019 alle ore 20:52 Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>
ha scritto:

> Seems like some action should be taken before 2 years, even if it is to
> close the PR because it is not appropriate. Isn’t this the responsibility
> of the chair to guard against committer changes where the contributor is
> still willing? Or if a mentor is guiding the PR they should help it get
> unstalled if the contributor is still willing to make changes.
>
> The point (2 year old PRs) seems well taken. The question should be; what
> can be done about this?
>
> For what it’s worth, we are just starting to use Livy and wish it was
part
> of Spark. We would like to treat Spark as a “microservice” as a compute
> engine. The Spark team seems to want to make Spark integral to the
> architecture of ALL applications that use it. Very odd from our point of
> view.
>
> So to integrate Livy we deeply hope it doesn’t fall into disrepair and
are
> willing to help when we run into something.
>

> From: Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org> <sa...@apache.org>
> Reply: dev@livy.incubator.apache.org <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
> <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
> Date: September 1, 2019 at 11:19:00 AM
> To: dev@livy.incubator.apache.org <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
> <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
> Subject:  Re: Possible missing mentor(s)
>
> "Second, if someone has a *good* and *large* contribution history, and
> actively participates in community, we will add him without doubt. Third,
> 2-year old open PRs doesn't stand anything, some reviewers left the
> community and PRs get staled, it is quite common, especially in large
> community."
>
> Meisam has 7 closed and 3 open PRs - of the 4 oldest open PRs in Livy (I
> see 4 in 2017), 2 are his. He's ranked #10 in the contributor list --
> It's not a large contribution history mostly because it takes so long to
> merge and he has been consistently active for 2 years. The size of the
> community doesn't seem a factor here with <200 closed PRs and <50
> contributors.
>
> How are you prioritizing PR merges if you think having a 2 year old open
PR

<sa...@gmail.com>

> > project
> > which
> Also
> > > for
> It's
> > is

> > > community
> > subjective

> > and
Livy

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__blog.nanthrax.net&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=S1_S7Dymu4ZL6g7L21O78VQZ53vEnAyZ-cx37DPYDyo&m=79giSRK7IUn3zXaM7ySmizaESAKLZX6DfnboFN4kAmg&s=VMIWhY6PSSjQOKzhS2RpMbbVRTwPd0qvSUHUT0q3GNc&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.talend.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=S1_S7Dymu4ZL6g7L21O78VQZ53vEnAyZ-cx37DPYDyo&m=79giSRK7IUn3zXaM7ySmizaESAKLZX6DfnboFN4kAmg&s=8a9EnolsIQYOOttVJbk4Pxu0cW-FZM-E55LJXoWHomw&e=

Re: Possible missing mentor(s)

Posted by Marco Gaido <ma...@gmail.com>.

From: Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org> <sa...@apache.org>
Date: September 1, 2019 at 11:19:00 AM
To: dev@livy.incubator.apache.org <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
<de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Possible missing mentor(s)

Posted by Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Saisai Shao <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sid Anand <r3...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saisai Shao <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org>.
Marco,
Thanks for your response. I've sent meisam's open PRs link below, some of
which have been open for 2 years. Though he has left PayPal, I've CC'd him
here. It might take a bit of work to figure out who the other PP
contributors are, as they may also have since left. If I find their PRs, I
can also submit them. Meisam, do you know of other contributors?

Regarding meisam's open PRs, I do see there were active discussion and then
things just drop off. And with high latency in the conversation, files tend
to repeatedly incur merge conflicts (the curse of long-open PRs), which is
an observation not unique to this project -- a lot of popular projects
suffer this.

Sorry if my initial email was too harsh. I had sent a few emails in the
past and didn't see responses to them. I appreciate your help.
-s

Posted by Sid Anand <sa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sid Anand <r3...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Gaido <ma...@gmail.com>.