Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> on 2001/10/29 02:32:38 UTC

Re: [OT] P2EE Redux was: Excellent article on Apache/mod_perl at eToys

One important thing....

THERE IS ALREADY A P5EE MAILING LIST GUYS!!

:)

So basically if you want to add your feedback, go there! It's already done
but it's not too late to add feedback. :)

email ...

p5ee-subscribe@perl.org

At 08:36 AM 10/29/2001, Medi Montaseri wrote:

>Similarly, this concept of Enterprise is a bugus idea ... from a pure
>computer science point of view, there is no such thing as an Enterprise.
>This is all Microsoft's branding trying to associate themselves with
>something big, and Sun is stupidly following it....

"A pure computer science point of view"...  Well, very few things exist
from a "pure" computer science point of view because it's based on low
level algorithms typically.

However, that does not mean models that encapsulate the complexity of all
the algorithms put together in certain ways do not have or add value.

The concept of the enterprise is a very real model of interpreting the
world of IT and how to distinguish between a localized, single-protocol
systems and an enterprise system.

Enterprise being a Microsoft Branding term? I don't think believe that it
came before Sun. Sun and Microsoft are not branding themselves the same
way. And I believe that the term enterprise has been around for quite some
years independent of Microsoft.

However, because of the Java and Sun branding of J2EE, it is important that
Perl and other languages come together to say how they fit the enterprise
as well. Why is this important? Credibility. While it's true that many
businesses do not require "enterprise" solutions, a business can feel more
comfortable adopting a solution if they know that it can grow with them.

For example, if I were to download a public domain web store, I would much
prefer knowing that the ecommerce solution were used by Amazon.com because
then I'd know that if my "ReeferOnline" store were to take off in Columbia,
that it would scale and I wouldn't have to look for an alternative
solution. Also, the fact that a larger corporation can use the application
means that they've worked out security and other issues better than I, a
small IT arm of a huge Drug Overlord, can afford the time and effort to
check out.

While not everyone may need these additional reassurances from a marketing
point of view, the majority of the world does.

>My vote is to come up with something more pure than trendy like
>Enterprise.

My vote is that anyone who doesn't like a name should be the first person
to come up with an alternative idea rather than just negating it and asking
for others to come up with the hard work of coming up with something
different. :)

Anyway, please do visit the P5EE list. There is also an archive of past
posts so you can play catch up from the last week.

http://archive.develooper.com/p5ee%40perl.org/