Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Raef <tr...@ebasedsecurity.com> on 2006/06/29 22:04:39 UTC

Spammers and images...

I'm sure you've read this by now, but as this has been a topic in this
group I thought it was at least worth bringing to everyone's attention:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/wormsviruses/2006-06-
28-spam-images_x.htm

Thomas J. Raef

e-Based Security, Inc.

www.ebasedsecurity.com

"You're either hardened, or you're hacked!"

Re: Spammers and images...

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
This line from the article:

> Image spam can also tax e-mail systems because each message is about
> 7.5 times larger than regular spam, Sprosts said.

...reminds me of an old(ish) saying I once read:

"A picture had better be worth a thousand words -- it takes up a lot
more disk space!"

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Spammers and images...

Posted by Hamish <ha...@travellingkiwi.com>.
On Thursday 29 June 2006 21:04, Thomas Raef wrote:
> I'm sure you've read this by now, but as this has been a topic in this
> group I thought it was at least worth bringing to everyone's attention:
>

> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/wormsviruses/2006-06-
> 28-spam-images_x.htm

We get a lot of this... Or at least a lot of the spam that gets through is one
of these... Unfortunately we also get a lot of legitimate email that looks
like that... From vendors etc that send license keys as a GIF for example...

My name is mud of course because some gets through...

Hamish.