Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/28 09:52:25 UTC

Why should not we rely on port 80 in openmeetings, should we

We have really long discussion on the subject: why does our typical
installation has two http servers - one is Apache jetty embedded into red5,
and another is Apache Httpd which redirects traffic from port 80 to
different ports of our product.

I faced strong resistance convincing people that decreasing number of
servers and ports is good. Of course the less servers we have, less
installation work we have - why should we discuss it?

Finally I noticed why two servers may be good for some people. This applies
to the case when they want other http services like CMS or E-learning to
run on the same machine. I was thinking mostly about our Openmeetings
server farm, where are no advantages of keeping proxies, while each httpd
costs 200 Mb per server.

So the question is if we should keep using different ports in openmeetings.
Are there any other reasons I missed?

Concerning Maxim advice of using VPN - in my corporate life I don't even
have an admin password or a right to run non-microsoft executables.

Thanks.

Re: Why should not we rely on port 80 in openmeetings, should we

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure how all this implemented
but I believe context is applied after packet is received by tomcat.
need to inspect content of http packets

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Why should not we rely on port 80 in openmeetings, should we

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Yes

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
3) ...

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
statements

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Why should not we rely on port 80 in openmeetings, should we

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Apache2 costs 5MB of RAM per process
The number of processes is configurable via apache2 config (by default: 2
processes while idle, 10 processes while working)

The reason why do we need more than 1 server is: currently we are working
with 3-5 ports:
1) rtmp 1935
2) rtmpt 8088 ("fallback")
3) web server 5080
4, 5) https

I will try to create proxy (inside tomcat) listening on some port and
redirecting packets to the corresponding services, unless this
functionality is not required.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax