Posted to user@struts.apache.org by John Raley <jr...@wenet.net> on 2000/11/17 18:27:08 UTC

Update on example app failure in WebLogic 5.1

After a little investigation, I think that the problem is that the
ActionServlet is never initialized.  ActionServlet is responsible for
putting resources into the page context.  Does this sound reasonable to
y'all?

Also, would it be possible to factor out ActionServlet's init
responsibilities into a class responsible for global Struts
initialization?  Then every class that depends on this kind of init
could ensure that it has happened.  Just a thought...

John

RE: Update on example app failure in WebLogic 5.1

Posted by Ray <ra...@spc75.demon.co.uk>.
Hi,

>Yes - weblogic does not honor load-on-startup, so the ActionServlet is
>indeed not initialized. See below for a solution.

I believe that <load-on-startup> has been fixed via SP6.
I have not tested it myself.

Ray

Re: Update on example app failure in WebLogic 5.1

Posted by Matthias Kerkhoff <ma...@BESToffers.de>.
Hi John,

> After a little investigation, I think that the problem is that the
> ActionServlet is never initialized.  ActionServlet is responsible for

Yes - weblogic does not honor load-on-startup, so the ActionServlet is
indeed not initialized. See below for a solution.

> putting resources into the page context.  Does this sound reasonable to
> y'all?

Please check the archive of this list for a WebLogic startup class
implementing (handling) load-on-startup and workarounds for some
other problems with WLS 5.1.

> Also, would it be possible to factor out ActionServlet's init
> responsibilities into a class responsible for global Struts
> initialization?  Then every class that depends on this kind of init
> could ensure that it has happened.  Just a thought...

I like the way Struts handles initialization because it's fully J2EE-
compliant. WLS is causing the problems here.

--
Matthias                        (mailto:make@BESToffers.de)

Re: Update on example app failure in WebLogic 5.1

Posted by John Raley <jr...@wenet.net>.
Thanks, this seems to have it working.

Posted by Erik Pearson <er...@cariboulake.com>.