Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/12/19 19:38:09 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
for voting.

Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
- Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
- Refactor resource handling for the class loader
- Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
- Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
  tracking
- Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
- Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
- More consistent handling of XML validation options
- Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
- Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
- Performance improvements
- Numerous bug fixes

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-002/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/

The proposed 8.0.0-RC10 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/12/2013 23:42, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 19.12.2013 19:38, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
>> for voting.

As always, many thanks for the detailed review.

>   - One special observation in unit tests: Test
> org.apache.catalina.core.TestDefaultInstanceManager throws 3
> NullPointerExceptions, that seem to indicate a broken test (see below).

Fixed.

>   - JMX shows that websocket filter is configured for all default apps.
>     I didn't check, where this comes from, but should it really be
>     active by default?

It is working as designed - whether the design is right is a different
question. I have a TODO to provide a container specific way to disable
unwanted SCIs on a per context basis.

>   - MBeans "Catalina:context=/...,host=localhost,type=WebResourceRoot"
>     and
> "Catalina:context=/...,host=localhost,name=Cache,type=WebResourceRoot"
>     very similar in name (same type).
>     All of the numeric data moved from the first to the second
>     (plus additional interesting data in the second), in the first it
>     is only left traceLockedFiles, stateName, cachingAllowed,
>     traceResources and allowLinking which is all boolean or enum type.
>     Should we make the two MBeans differ by "type"?

My primary motivation here was to a) move all the caching attributes to
a new JMX object and b) have the cache appear as a "sub-object" to the
resources when using JConsole with default options. I'm happy with any
tweaks folks want to make as long as those two requirements are met.

>   - Same MBean: new attributes traceLockedFiles (boolean) and
>     traceResources (Array): should the second be named tracedResources
>     (additional "d") to distinguish the Array list of resources from the
>     boolean to trace or not to trace switch?

I need to do some clean-up here. I also need to align attribute names
between the Context and the Cache. This is on my TODO list for the next
release.

Thanks again,

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 19.12.2013 19:38, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>   tracking
> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
> - Performance improvements
> - Numerous bug fixes
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-002/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC10 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha

+1 as alpha.

Overview:

[...]

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src consistent with svn tag
- builds fine but
  - Very few warnings about unsafe or unchecked operations,
    a little less than for RC5.
    See full list at end of mail.
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc warnings
- No unit test failures, great!
- Warnings a bit lower than RC 5, errors and exception counts during
  unit tests higher than for RC 5, mostly in
TestHostConfigAutomaticDeployment.

- JMX MBean-Comparison with RC 5:
  - 5 new MBeans
Catalina:context=/...,host=localhost,name=Cache,type=WebResourceRoot
  - Old MBeans Catalina:context=/...,host=localhost,type=WebResourceRoot
    dropped attributes cacheMaxObjectSize, cacheTtl and cacheMaxSize
    moved to the new MBean, attributes objectName and domain completely
    removed, attributes traceLockedFiles (boolean) and
    traceResources (Array) added.
  - ordering of tokens in ObjectName and attributes "objectName",
    "children" and "servlets" changed to be more logical
  - some filter name changes
    - from "org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter" to
      "Tomcat WebSocket (JSR356) Filter"
    - from "Timing filter" to "Timing Filter" (upper case "f")
  - MBean j2eeType=WebModule removed attribute antiJARLocking,
    added attribute tldValidation with value false
  - MBean ThreadPool added attribute executorTerminationTimeoutMillis
    with value 5000
  - MBean WebappClassLoader removed attributes jarPath and
    antiJARLocking
    For the examples webapp also changed order of URLs
    (jstl.jar and standard.jar switched position)
  - MBean Loader attribute loaderRepositoriesString simple path names
    like "/WEB-INF/classes/" changed to file URLs like
    "file:/.../output/build/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/".
    The same in the loaderRepositories array.
  - MBean OperatingSystem attribute OpenFileDescriptorCount up
    from 86 to 87

Build and tests were done using Java 1.7.0_45. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
tcnative was 1.1.29 based on APR 1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few
patches).

Maybe broken test org.apache.catalina.core.TestDefaultInstanceManager

Running org.apache.catalina.core.TestDefaultInstanceManager
20-Dec-2013 11:08:00.021 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler
["http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1"]
20-Dec-2013 11:08:00.125 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service
Tomcat
20-Dec-2013 11:08:00.126 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.0.0-RC10
20-Dec-2013 11:08:01.197 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGenerator.createSecureRandom Creation
of SecureRandom instance for session ID generation using [INSECURE] took
[642] milliseconds.
20-Dec-2013 11:08:01.303 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1-53094"]
20-Dec-2013 11:08:02.342 SEVERE [http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1-exec-1]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke Servlet.service()
for servlet [jsp] in context with path [/test] threw exception [Unable
to compile class for JSP] with root cause
 java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.<init>(Validator.java:515)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validateExDirectives(Validator.java:1819)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:219)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:375)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:355)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:342)
        at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:564)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:357)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:403)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:347)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:303)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:221)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:107)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:504)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:155)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:76)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:934)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:90)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:522)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1015)
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:646)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:146)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:324)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

20-Dec-2013 11:08:02.430 SEVERE [http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1-exec-2]
[...]

20-Dec-2013 11:08:02.465 SEVERE [http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1-exec-3]
[...]

20-Dec-2013 11:08:02.731 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.pause Pausing ProtocolHandler
["http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1-53094"]
20-Dec-2013 11:08:02.783 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stopInternal Stopping service
Tomcat
20-Dec-2013 11:08:02.822 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.stop Stopping ProtocolHandler
["http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-1-53094"]
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 4.861 sec

Unit test details
=================

Unit test warnings
------------------

68 total (-27 rel RC 5)

  - most fewer ones in tribes, especially from 46 (RC5) down to 28 (RC10):
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message
to:org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl[tcp://IP:PORT,IP,PORT,
alive=AAA, securePort=-1, UDP Port=-1, id={...}, payload={},
command={...}, domain={...}, ]

  - 4 less (from 8 in RC5 to 4 in RC10) of type
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.shutdownExecutor The
executor associated with thread pool [http-...-127.0.0.1-auto-...] has
not fully shutdown. Some application threads may still be running.

  - down from 6 (RC5) to 3 (RC10):
org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReplicationTask.run
IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel. Probable
cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].

  - down from 6 (RC5) to 4 (RC10):
org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.ParallelNioSender.doLoop Member
send is failing for:tcp://{IP}:PORT ; Setting to suspect and retrying.

Unit test SEVERE messages
-------------------------

526 total (+106 rel RC5).

Here's the top 20 SEVERE messages:

Count  Message
  78 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
  48 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor
.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatch] in context with path [] threw
exception [Opps.] with root cause
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet error threw exception
  27 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event
threw exception
  18 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory The web
application with context path [/myapp] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor
[.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp/META-INF/context.xml] which may
include configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the
application but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the
deployXML setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be
created at [.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml] to
deploy this application.
  18 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Error
deploying web application directory .../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp
  12 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR The web
application with context path [/myapp] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor [META-INF/context.xml] which may
include configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the
application but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the
deployXML setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be
created at [.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml] to
deploy this application.
  12 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Error deploying
web application archive .../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp.war
   9 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] appears to have started a thread named
[pool-P-thread-T] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error
listenerStart
   6
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.
   6
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   6 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] is still processing a request that has yet to
finish. This is very likely to create a memory leak. You can control the
time allowed for requests to finish by using the unloadDelay attribute
of the standard Context implementation.
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
[/myapp] startup failed due to previous errors
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Skipped
installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Error
configuring application listener of class
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener
   5
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.memberDisappeared
Unable to start election when member was removed.
   5 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] appears to have started a thread named
[http-bio-127.0.0.1-auto-I-exec-PPPPP] but has failed to stop it. This
is very likely to create a memory leak.

"Exception" in output of unit tests
-----------------------------------

568 times (+101 rel RC5).

Top exception counts:

Count Exception
  75 javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
  48 Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@HEX]
  48 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  39 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp] is not valid
  30 Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to
process either the global, per-host or context-specific context.xml file
therefore the [/myapp] Context cannot be started.
  30 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[/myapp]
  30 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [/myapp]
  13 java.lang.NullPointerException
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war] is not valid
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element is limited
to 1 occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is limited to 1
occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <absolute-ordering> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9 java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character encountered.
   9 java.io.FileNotFoundException:
.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war (No such file or directory)
   6 Exception in thread "WebSocketClient-AsyncIO-..."
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Writing not allowed due to timeout or
cancellation
   6 org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
   6 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to process parts as no
multi-part configuration has been provided
   6 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener

As always I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages
are important.

"unchecked" warnings
====================

Some less than RC5, no new ones:

Tipis
-----

Unchanged:

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:644: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(), (V)
mapmsg.getValue());
                                                        ^
  required: K
  found:    Serializable
  where K is a type-variable:
    K extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:644: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(), (V)
mapmsg.getValue());

       ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:669: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                        if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null )
entry.setValue((V) mapmsg.getValue());

                 ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:675: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                    entry.setValue((V) re);
                                       ^
  required: V
  found:    ReplicatedMapEntry
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:677: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                    if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null ) entry.setValue((V)
mapmsg.getValue());

             ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

JDBC-Pool
---------

Unchanged:

.../modules/jdbc-pool/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/jdbc/pool/PoolProperties.java:973:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
            return (Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>)clazz;
                                                     ^
  required: Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>
  found:    Class<CAP#1>
  where CAP#1 is a fresh type-variable:
    CAP#1 extends Object from capture of ?

DBCP
----

All known, less items than before:

.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:299:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,DelegatingConnection<?>)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
                            new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement( key.getSql()),
key, _pstmtPool, this));
                            ^
  where K,S are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in class
PoolablePreparedStatement

.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:307:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,DelegatingConnection<?>)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
                            new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement(
                            ^
  where K,S are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in class
PoolablePreparedStatement

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>   tracking
> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
> - Performance improvements
> - Numerous bug fixes
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-002/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC10 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha

Looks good to me -- home-brewed app, mostly default config.

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
alpha: markt, jfarcand, remm, yoavs, violetagg, rjung
       Andrew Carr (non-binding)

No other votes were cast. The vote therefore passes.

Posted by Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>.
My aPologIzes, While ThE build floundered with a fail message, the
output folder dist was intact.   Ran some tests and all appears good.

Still the build failure thingy threw me off.

Flip flopping on my vote =)

Re: [OT] [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [OT] [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/12/23 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
> Konstantin,
>
> On 12/23/13, 6:31 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2013/12/23 Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>:
>>> Wine not found??  im on a headless server, what did i do wrong?  See
>>> error below...
>>>
>>> Clean setup to test:
>>>
>>> Fresh VM with Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit server
>>> Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.2 compiled on July 14 2013
>>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.12) (7u25-2.3.12-4ubuntu3)
>>> fresh checkout of 8_0_0RC10

>>> BUILD FAILED
>>> /home/support/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/build.xml:2011: Execute failed:
>>> java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "wine" (in directory
>>
>> You cannot build a Windows Installer on an Unix system without wine.
>> (The installer is built by NSIS which is a Windows executable).
>
> Does this mean that a complete Tomcat distribution can be built on a
> non-Windows system? I didn't realize that. Does the installer download
> the appropriate package(s) (NSIS) and run them, or does NSIS need to be
> separately installed and configured?
>
> I think I may have been under the mistaken impression that I could not
> build a complete release on my Mac (I do have Wine). Was I wrong?

It does download and unpack NSIS as necessary,

I think some of official releases of Tomcat 6 were built using WINE this way.
(IIRC a fix in 6.0.25 "Ensure files in conf directory have CRLF line
endings when using the Windows installer." and a fix in 6.0.24 ".zip
distributions should have windows line endings." were related to
this).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [OT] [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Konstantin,

On 12/23/13, 6:31 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2013/12/23 Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>:
>> Wine not found??  im on a headless server, what did i do wrong?  See
>> error below...
>>
>> Clean setup to test:
>>
>> Fresh VM with Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit server
>> Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.2 compiled on July 14 2013
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.12) (7u25-2.3.12-4ubuntu3)
>> fresh checkout of 8_0_0RC10
>>
>>> [X] Broken - do not release
>>> [] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha
>>

>> BUILD FAILED
>> /home/support/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/build.xml:2011: Execute failed:
>> java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "wine" (in directory
>
> You cannot build a Windows Installer on an Unix system without wine.
> (The installer is built by NSIS which is a Windows executable).

Does this mean that a complete Tomcat distribution can be built on a
non-Windows system? I didn't realize that. Does the installer download
the appropriate package(s) (NSIS) and run them, or does NSIS need to be
separately installed and configured?

I think I may have been under the mistaken impression that I could not
build a complete release on my Mac (I do have Wine). Was I wrong?

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the clarification Mark.  That all makes sense.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello Konstantin,

Thank you very much for the reply.  I understand what Wine is and why
you can't build the installer without it.  What I don't understand is
why the configuration tries to build it by default.  Wine is not a
prerequesite in the documentation.  Maybe the default build.properties
should contain the skip.installer=true.

Also, retrying the build right now.

Thank you again,
Andrew Carr

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/12/23 Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>:
> Wine not found??  im on a headless server, what did i do wrong?  See
> error below...
>
> Clean setup to test:
>
> Fresh VM with Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit server
> Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.2 compiled on July 14 2013
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.12) (7u25-2.3.12-4ubuntu3)
> fresh checkout of 8_0_0RC10
>
>> [X] Broken - do not release
>> [] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha
>

> BUILD FAILED
> /home/support/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/build.xml:2011: Execute failed:
> java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "wine" (in directory

You cannot build a Windows Installer on an Unix system without wine.
(The installer is built by NSIS which is a Windows executable).

You can skip the step by setting "skip.installer" property in Ant configuration.
(This option is not mentioned in BUILDING.txt though).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-12-19 1:38 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed 8.0.0-RC10 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha

Tested jsr356 & AsyncContext with Atmosphere, no issue.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/12/2013 18:38, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>   tracking
> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
> - Performance improvements
> - Numerous bug fixes
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-002/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC10 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC10 alpha

Unit tests pass on Linux, Windows and OSX (all 64-bit, all three connectors)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 20/12/2013 12:36, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Can you please add the signature files for
> apache-tomcat-8.0.0-RC10.tar.gz and apache-tomcat-8.0.0-RC10.zip. The
> other signature files are present, but not for those two files.

Done. No idea how they got missed. I'll keep an eye on the next release.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Can you please add the signature files for
apache-tomcat-8.0.0-RC10.tar.gz and apache-tomcat-8.0.0-RC10.zip. The
other signature files are present, but not for those two files.

Thanks!

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC10

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 20/12/2013 01:40, Andrew Carr wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 December 2013 18:38, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
>>> for voting.
>>>
>>> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
>>> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
>>> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
>>> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
>>> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
>>> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>>>   tracking
>>> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
>>> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
>>> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
>>> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
>>> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
>>> - Performance improvements
>>> - Numerous bug fixes
>>>
>>> It can be obtained from:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/
>>
>> I get 404 for that URL
>>
>>> The Maven staging repo is:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-002/
>>> The svn tag is:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/
>>

> Getting 404 for this page, like sebb, parent folder only shows a rc9 folder

Sorry - looks like the svn commit to replace RC9 with RC10 failed and I
didn't notice. Re-trying now. There will be a commit notification to the
dev list when it is complete.

Posted by Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 December 2013 18:38, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>   tracking
> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
> - Performance improvements
> - Numerous bug fixes
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/

I get 404 for that URL

> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-002/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC10/

The NOTICE & LICENSE files in the source archive mention various 3rd
party items of software that are not actually included in the source
archive.
AIUI, it is vital that the N&L files *only* reference the bits that
are actually included in the distribution to which they apply [1]

Also, some of the NOTICE entries look as though they may be
superfluous anyway [2]

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#step-by-step (see 3.)
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

2013/12/19 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 10 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>   tracking
> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
> - Performance improvements
> - Numerous bug fixes
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC10/

I think that there are no artifacts uploaded to dist.apache.org

Regards
Violeta