Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/05/15 12:51:59 UTC

Tuscany Project CWiki

I have some questions about how we are using cwiki....

>From the original request for creation of our space [1] I see that rfeng is
the group admin for tuscany-committers. Are you able to add other committers
as admins? Would be good to have more than one (you may already have done
this of course:-)

Looking at the rules for using cwiki [2] we need to review how we are using
it. In particular.

A) our web site currently redirects to confluence and not the autoexported
site. I propose that we replace the current redirect with an rsynch of the
autoexported site. We need to decide on how we create an index.html but I
prefer not to use the redirect approach as it gives a strange user
experience. We should also remove the old HTML to prevent people ending up
at the old site and finding out of date information. Is there anything on
the old site we still need? This is conditional on point B)
B) Is our wiki configured so that only those who have signed a CLA can edit
it? If not we need to make this so.
C) Following on from B) I suggest we instigate a feedback mechanism, either
by turning on comments or by asking for a new TUSCANY space that has global
edit.

Thoughts?

Simon

[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CWIKI/Index

Re: Tuscany Project CWiki

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Good thinking re. getting mails sent out. I'll look into it to see if we can
do it if you like.

Simon

Re: Tuscany Project CWiki

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have some questions about how we are using cwiki....
>
> From the original request for creation of our space [1] I see that rfeng
> is
> the group admin for tuscany-committers. Are you able to add other
> committers
> as admins? Would be good to have more than one (you may already have done
> this of course:-)
>
> Looking at the rules for using cwiki [2] we need to review how we are
> using
> it. In particular.
>
> A) our web site currently redirects to confluence and not the autoexported
> site. I propose that we replace the current redirect with an rsynch of the
> autoexported site. We need to decide on how we create an index.html but I
> prefer not to use the redirect approach as it gives a strange user
> experience. We should also remove the old HTML to prevent people ending up
> at the old site and finding out of date information. Is there anything on
> the old site we still need? This is conditional on point B)
> B) Is our wiki configured so that only those who have signed a CLA can
> edit
> it? If not we need to make this so.
> C) Following on from B) I suggest we instigate a feedback mechanism,
> either
> by turning on comments or by asking for a new TUSCANY space that has
> global
> edit.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 to all those, for (C) a space that allows global edit seems better as it
allows others to more easily contribute content.

Also, could we have cwiki update emails sent to the mailing list (maybe the
commit list)?

   ...ant

Re: Tuscany Project CWiki

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks for the comments raymond, some more in line....

On 5/15/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please see my comments inline.
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

Thank you.

Please let me know your user name if you're not on this list yet.

> > Looking at the rules for using cwiki [2] we need to review how we are
> > using
> > it. In particular.
> >
> > A) our web site currently redirects to confluence and not the
> autoexported
> > site. I propose that we replace the current redirect with an rsynch of
> the
> > autoexported site. We need to decide on how we create an index.html but
> > prefer not to use the redirect approach as it gives a strange user
> > experience. We should also remove the old HTML to prevent people ending
> up
> > at the old site and finding out of date information. Is there anything
> on
> > the old site we still need? This is conditional on point B)
>
> Yes, we should point to the exported site which is
> http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/.

Can someone shoot onto p.a.o and fix this. I just noticed my user id is not
in the incubator group so I can't change the index file. I.e. just a
temporary fix until we get the web site rsynch properly.

> B) Is our wiki configured so that only those who have signed a CLA can
> > edit
> > it? If not we need to make this so.
>
> Now the "edit" is open to "confluence-users" group. There is a "asf-cla"
> group but it doesn't seem that it automatically adds all the users who
> have
> signed
> a CLA.

So, for now shall we just turn off edit to all but committers and
investigate asf-cla in parallel so we can pick up all those who have signed
a CLA but are not committers for TUSCANY?

> C) Following on from B) I suggest we instigate a feedback mechanism,
> > either
> > by turning on comments or by asking for a new TUSCANY space that has
> > global
> > edit.
>
> The users can add comments already. The notification of the space is
> subscription-based. Please see:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/viewspacecontent.action?key=TUSCANY

Ant's proposition was that we get that sent to the commit list as opposed to
us all signing up for it individually. Could we do that by signing up a
tuscany-commit user and subscribing it for notifications?

Re: Tuscany Project CWiki

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,