Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2009/05/20 14:39:10 UTC

List operation question

How do I get the thread ID of a given thread in the mailing list, if I
want to request all the posts from that thread?

I got the instructions message of how to request the posts for a given
thread, but it requires me to know the id of the thread, and I can't
figure out where to get that.  I've been looking in the full headers of
some of the messages in the thread, but can't find anything that looks
like a thread number or ID.

Thanks!

RE: List operation question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: List operation question
>
> How do I get the thread ID of a given thread in the mailing list, if I
> want to request all the posts from that thread?

If you use one of these searchable archives, you shouldn't need the thread ID:
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user
http://tomcat.markmail.org/search/?q=#query:list%3Aorg.apache.tomcat.users+page:1+state:facets

I find the former easier to use, but the latter looks cooler.

 - Chuck

Re: List operation question

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> David kerber wrote:
>
>> How do I get the thread ID of a given thread in the mailing list, if I
>> want to request all the posts from that thread?
>>
>> I got the instructions message of how to request the posts for a given
>> thread, but it requires me to know the id of the thread, and I can't
>> figure out where to get that.  I've been looking in the full headers of
>> some of the messages in the thread, but can't find anything that looks
>> like a thread number or ID.
>>

> You can request all messages with the same subject as message nnnnnn by
> requesting <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

Yes, I found that.
> To find the right value of nnnnnn, look in the headers for the return
> path. You should see something like:
>
> In this case you want 196566.

That's what I couldn't figure out; thanks.  It would be nice if the
mailing list instructional message told us that.

Re: List operation question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
David kerber wrote:
> How do I get the thread ID of a given thread in the mailing list, if I
> want to request all the posts from that thread?
>
> I got the instructions message of how to request the posts for a given
> thread, but it requires me to know the id of the thread, and I can't
> figure out where to get that.  I've been looking in the full headers of
> some of the messages in the thread, but can't find anything that looks
> like a thread number or ID.

You can request all messages with the same subject as message nnnnnn by
requesting <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

To find the right value of nnnnnn, look in the headers for the return
path. You should see something like:

In this case you want 196566.

Mark