Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Meghna Baijal <me...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/25 20:04:23 UTC

[VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Hi all

This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0, release
candidate 3.

Apache MXNet community has voted and approved the release.

Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2695a598ae0622484d4c886dc5b2ea823c306ca4ebef66accec6ee76@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2695a598ae0622484d4c886dc5b2ea823c306ca4ebef66accec6ee76@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E>

Result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d860c49194ec71c5c83ac0fa68df13050dbfada4ff7052be3401fc1b@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d860c49194ec71c5c83ac0fa68df13050dbfada4ff7052be3401fc1b@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E>

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/0.11.0.rc3/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/0.11.0.rc3/>

The release tag can be found here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/tree/0.11.0.rc3 <https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/tree/0.11.0.rc3>

The release hash is ba6413d29769075dd883ec5fe6eb24afc98fb3fd and can be found here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/ba6413d29769075dd883ec5fe6eb24afc98fb3fd <https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/ba6413d29769075dd883ec5fe6eb24afc98fb3fd>

AA3EBCC3E65A768AE3D2A64B8EF47B8720E8C549

KEY files are available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/0.11.0.rc3/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/0.11.0.rc3/>

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/v0.11.0+Release+Notes+-+MXNet+v0.11+Release+Candidate <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/v0.11.0+Release+Notes+-+MXNet+v0.11+Release+Candidate>

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this package as 0.1.0
[ ] +0 no opinion

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Sorry the send button got pressed a bit too quickly there.

+1 (binding) but there a few outstanding things that need to be fixed IMO before the next release.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signature and hashes good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- NOTICE may have wrong year range (should only be 2017?)
- LICENSE has some minor issues and missing a few permissive licenses
- There’s a number of issue with headers on files with a large number of files missing the standard ASF header or an Apache license header. Please fix for next release.
- Didn’t try to compile as there’s doesn’t seem to be any instruction on how to do so. Would be nice if this was provided in the README.

License is missing
- BSD license for this file [4]
- MIT licensed JQuery and Sizzle.js [5]
- This BSD licensed file [6]
- Boost Software licensed file [7]
- This BSD licensed files [8][9]

Some minor issues:
- While a number of file (around 50 odd) do have "Copyright (c) 2016 by Contributors” they don’t have a full Apache licensed header please fix this in the next release. More files exist with other years and without the correct header.
- This license file may be a little misleading [1] where its apache license but also claims “All rights reserved”. I notice this in a number of other places as well.
- A number of Apache licenses have incorrect appendixes with the copyright line filled in e.g. [2]
- This file may incorrect have an ASF header on it [3]

Also the README has a large number of links to http://mxnet.io I assume this will be changed during incubation?

Thanks,
Justin

1. ./src/operator/contrib/ctc_include/LICENSE
2../dlpack/LICENSE
3. ./example/image-classification/predict-cpp/image-classification-predict.cc
4. ./docs/_static/searchtools_custom.js
5. ./docs/_static/jquery-1.11.1.js
6.  ./cub/test/mersenne.h
7. ./cmake/Modules/FindJeMalloc.cmake
8. ./dmlc-core/cmake/Modules/FindCrypto.cmake
9. ./nnvm/dmlc-core/cmake/Modules/FindCrypto.cmake

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Sebastian <ss...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
It looks like the request to vote on the release by the Incubator PMC was made on Friday August 25.

This vote has been open more than 72 hours after the [VOTE] thread was opened.

So it looks like you are good to release.

Regards,

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> ba6413d29769075dd883ec5fe6eb24afc98fb3fd <https://github.com/apache/
>>> incubator-mxnet/commit/ba6413d29769075dd883ec5fe6eb24afc98fb3fd>
>>>

>>> Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
>>> AA3EBCC3E65A768AE3D2A64B8EF47B8720E8C549
>>>

>>> KEY files are available here:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/0.11.0.rc3/ <
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/0.11.0.rc3/>
>>>

>>> For information about the contents of this release, see:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/v0.
>>> 11.0+Release+Notes+-+MXNet+v0.11+Release+Candidate <
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/v0.
>>> 11.0+Release+Notes+-+MXNet+v0.11+Release+Candidate>
>>>

>>> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Release this package as 0.1.0
>>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.
+ dev@

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.
+ dev@

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding) to the release.

Posted by Meghna Baijal <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks John. I will create the JIRA tickets to track your inputs as requested.

Meghna

Posted by Meghna Baijal <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:30 PM John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Reverted to "Copyright Contributors"?
>>

> Yes, for any file that we don't have full agreement (ICLA on file) we
> can't remove the copyright claim that already exists.  Us receiving an ICLA
> is what allows us to say "Licensed to the ASF" (it's in the ICLA).
>
> It's not a big deal, since its Apache licensed, we just have to be careful
> we're removing someone's pre-existing claim.

I'll give a more concrete example.

Let's say I imported this file into an ASF repo
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/blob/v5.0.0.RC3/spring-core/src/main/java/org/springframework/util/StringUtils.java

I wouldn't change the header to say licensed to the ASF.  None of the
contributors have signed ICLAs.  The file header would remain in tact.  I
would also have to carry their notice file around
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/blob/v5.0.0.RC3/src/docs/dist/notice.txt
(at
least I'm assuming this is their NOTICE file, I can't find any others
around)

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Well, specific to what I'm seeing in MXNet's release, where I'm concerned
is that almost all of the files have the "Licensed to the ASF" header.  If
there was an existing copyright on there before, that should remain,
regardless of whether the license is apache v2 or not, unless every single
contributor to that file has signed an ICLA.  I haven't found any yet, but
I'm inclined to give this a +1 (but that's not my vote yet) with notes that
they need to be very thorough on which files are actually licensed to us vs
from authors not on ICLAs.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henri,

If a project was developed outside Apache then everyone who contributed to the project has to have an ICLA on file or file a Software Grant as part of IP Clearance.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henri,

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Dominic,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Dominic,

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: [VOTE] Apache MXNet (incubating) 0.11.0 release RC3

Posted by Meghna Baijal <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,