Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by "Schock, Johannes - NIVUS GmbH" <Jo...@nivus.com> on 2020/06/02 14:58:15 UTC

RE: MSYS2 build slow

Sorry for being so unresponsive, we had bank holidays and I've been away from my computer for 3 days.

With a virgin clone of apache/incubator-nuttx, configure outputs the following in MSYS2:

$ tools/configure.sh stm32f4discovery/nsh
  Copy files
  Select CONFIG_HOST_LINUX=y
  Refreshing...

time make -j
real    4m48,811s
user    0m41,836s
sys     1m47,151s

make clean -j
time make -j
real    3m23,974s
user    0m33,409s
sys     1m34,379s

If I force -g this gives the following results:
$ tools/configure.sh -g stm32f4discovery/nsh
  Copy files
  Select CONFIG_HOST_WINDOWS=y
  Select CONFIG_WINDOWS_MSYS=y
  Refreshing...

real    3m47,740s
user    0m37,817s
sys     1m44,749s

make clean -j
time make -j

real    3m26,775s
user    0m29,002s
sys     1m17,780s

Overall I see some fluctuation (build time can be sometimes as well in the 7-8min range), but this seems to be related to my system.

So for me there's one question left:
Why seems Greg's CYGWIN to be faster than my MSYS2.
But since I can again achieve build times in the 3 to 4min range, that's not of much importance.
(Nevertheless I will try WSL someday.)

Johannes