Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sam wun <sw...@gmx.com> on 2008/08/23 15:53:27 UTC

import project into Eclipse 3.4

HI,

I downloaded a sample project eg. com.eclipsedistilled.catalog in my
c:\DEV\samples\ directory.

eg.

c:\DEV\samples\com.eclipsedistilled.cataglog

c:\DEV\samples\com.eclipsedistilled.cataglog\bin

c:\DEV\samples\com.eclipsedistilled.cataglog\src

c:\DEV\samples\com.eclipsedistilled.cataglog\.classpath

c:\DEV\samples\com.eclipsedistilled.cataglog\.cvsignore

c:\DEV\samples\com.eclipsedistilled.cataglog\.project

I heard that we have to use maven to create a project (war / ear) file in
order to import it into eclipse.

What is the procedure/steps to do that?

Thanks

Re: import project into Eclipse 3.4

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.
If you're just trying to import it into Eclipse, then you should just
create an Enterprise ear project and a Dynamic Web Project and add the
source code to the Dynamic Web Project. Make sure you select your
compiler and that you add the Dynamic Web Project. Or, maybe the
configuration files for Eclipse that seem to be already present (the
.classpath is a tell) will work if you just import the project into
Eclipse? Either way, importing into Eclipse by setting up a Maven
project is a long way around.

If you had a valid Maven project structure, then you'd just run mvn
eclipse:eclipse and it would generate working Eclipse project
descriptors (the .classpath/.project I just mentioned) ear/war
configuration that you could then use to import into Eclipse.

Sorry if this doesn't answer the question entirely, but hopefully it
will be insightful.

Thanks,
Josh

--