Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2001/03/21 03:12:36 UTC

running batik on unix box without X11?

I'm trying to run batik server side, and while I can do it ok on an NT box,
when bring the code up on a unix box, I get an exception saying my display
variable isnt right.

java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as
the value of the DISPLAY variable.
	at
org.apache.batik.transcoder.image.ImageTranscoder.(ImageTranscoder.java:102)
	at
org.apache.batik.transcoder.image.JPEGTranscoder.(JPEGTranscoder.java:34)

now my display variable is going to be zero because this box will not have
an X11 server, and it doesnt seem to have any one nearby to talk to either.
So I am stuck.

I've looked at the latest source, and the obvious conclusion is that
something which is created with ImageTranscoder either a parent or a
contained object is looking for X11.

Does anybody know how to fix this without running X11?

-steve

Re: running batik on unix box without X11?

Posted by Ryan Marsh <me...@ryanmarsh.com>.
There are a number of solutions to this. Some solved with pure Java. Dig
through the Sun Java2D-interest list archives and you'll find this subject
discussed a number of times.

-ryan

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
thanks for that pointer. Certainly its certainly better than running win2K.

Posted by Denis Bohm <de...@fireflydesign.com>.
Hi Steve,