Posted to user@senssoft.apache.org by Joshua Poore <po...@me.com> on 2018/10/03 01:17:26 UTC

[VOTE] Change the Apache SensSoft Project Name

I am raising a VOTE to begin the process of changing the Apache SensSoft Project name.

A passing VOTE in favor of changing the Apache SensSoft Project name means the following sequence of events will take place:

1. We will first enter a nomination period for new names; all community members will be allowed to nominate names.
2. We will VOTE on a short-list of ranked names following a DISCUSSion
3. We will submit this short-list of ranked names to name search process as outlined in [1] and [2] to determine their suitability (ensure they are clear of trademarks/copyrights and brand confusion)
	3a. Results and artifacts generated through the name search will be documented on JIRA, Confluence.
4. We will VOTE amongst the appropriate names to select a new name.
5. Once a new name has been selected the project will no longer be named “SensSoft”, and we will begin the process of work with INFRA to reflect the changes in our repos, etc., and modifying our documentation to reflect this change (e.g., Wiki, Website).

Justification for the name change can be found below the VOTE categories, please read this before VOTING:

The VOTE is open for one week to allow committers and community members that represent institutions with a stake in Apache SensSoft a chance to discuss this issue with institutions that rely on our technology. The VOTE will close at 20:00, TUES OCT 9th.

[+1] 	We should change the name, it’s the right thing to do.
[ 0 ] 	I think we should discuss internally and fully explore our options with the Apache Incubator before we consider this. (note your reasons)
[-1]	I think our name is our identity, we should not change it.  (note your reasons)

——————— JUSTIFICATION————————
The reasons why I am raising this as an issue to VOTE are follows:

The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Inc. (Draper), has notified me in personal correspondence that Apache SensSoft, infringes on their trademark for "Software as a Sensor” [3] (which is referenced in various parts of our documentation with appropriate markings). This correspondence was prompted when I referenced Apache SensSoft in an email signature at a different employer. The initial software gift (from Draper) that established the Apache SensSoft project (incubating), was gifted under this name. However, Draper’s disposition has changed as many of our original Draper committers have taken other employment. The relevant, verbatim text from Draper legal copied in my correspondence with Brent Appleby, Director of Draper’s Algorithms & Software Directorate can be found in our Sept 18 polling report [4].

Draper’s Trademark is for “Software as a Sensor”, however, “SensSoft” and “SENSSOFT” are not protected marks (verified at [5] and [6], also note “SENSOFT” [7], which is cited in Draper’s correspondence [4]). So, why would we change the name?

1. In order to grow our community, our community members must be able to bring visibility to Apache SensSoft and evangelize it. Accusations or allusions of infringement are a strong disincentive to evangelizing our work.

2. In order to keep our code relevant, cross-functional, and open, we must be independent of any particular company or institution’s interests, else it is a strong disincentive for other company’s to build their own products from our work. As such, we cannot honor Draper’s wishes to reference them as the Trademark holders of “Software as a Sensor” every time we reference Apache SensSoft.

3. In order to maintain the viability of Apache SensSoft as an Apache Software Foundation (Incubator) product, institutions must be able to use, distribute, modify, and package our code into their own proprietary, branded products under the Apache License terms. This is as true for Draper as it is any other company. Draper committers have committed much of Apache SensSoft’s code (Draper is a part of our community), and they should be able to protect their proprietary interests and brands. Bringing in Apache Legal might disincentivize Draper’s continued involvement, as well as the involvement of other companies.

4. At the moment, I do not believe our project name to be so essential to our brand that our project cannot survive a name change.

5. As we have VOTED to graduate the project and are moving in that direction (see April 2018 VOTE on dev@), now is a good time to evaluate our project name (the formal name search process is mandatory for graduation).

——————— REFERENCES————————
[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html#conducting_ <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html#conducting_>
[2] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/naming.html <https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/naming.html>
[3] http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4805:t4o9gq.2.1 <http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4805:t4o9gq.2.1>
[4] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/September2018 <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/September2018>
[5] http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4805%3At4o9gq.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=SensSoft&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query <http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4805:t4o9gq.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~:=PARA1$LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=SensSoft&p_tagrepl~:=PARA2$COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query>
[6] http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4805%3At4o9gq.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=SENSSOFT&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query <http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4805:t4o9gq.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~:=PARA1$LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=SENSSOFT&p_tagrepl~:=PARA2$COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query>
[7] http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4805:t4o9gq.11.1 <http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4805:t4o9gq.11.1>

Re: [VOTE] Change the Apache SensSoft Project Name

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Thank you for taking leadership on this topic Josh. It s very important.
Your research is enlightening and saves a lot of other people a lot of
time... so again, thank you for that.
In short, my binding VOTE is below.

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: [VOTE] Change the Apache SensSoft Project Name

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 change the name, thanks

From: "Mariano, Laura J." <lm...@draper.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 2:07 PM
To: "dev@senssoft.incubator.apache.org" <de...@senssoft.incubator.apache.org>, "user@senssoft.incubator.apache.org" <us...@senssoft.incubator.apache.org>
Cc: "private@senssoft.incubator.apache.org" <pr...@senssoft.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: RE: [VOTE] Change the Apache SensSoft Project Name

My vote:

[+1] We should change the name, it’s the right thing to do.

-Laura

[...]

________________________________

Notice: This email and any attachments may contain proprietary (Draper non-public) and/or export-controlled information of Draper. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this email and immediately destroy all copies of this email.

________________________________

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Change the Apache SensSoft Project Name

Posted by Joshua Poore <po...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi All,

One week has passed. Results:

[+5] We should change the name, it’s the right thing to do. (Josh, Arthi, Rob, Laura, Chris, Lewis)
[ 0 ] I think we should discuss internally and fully explore our options with the Apache Incubator before we consider this. (note your reasons)
[-0]I think our name is our identity, we should not change it.  (note your reasons)

This PROCEDURAL VOTE passes, as per ASF Voting guidelines [1], with unanimous consensus among voting community members and 2 binding PPMC votes (Chris [+1], Lewis [+1], one abstention from Paul)—we will start the process of changing the name. Thanks to everyone who voted!

Next Steps:

1. We will first enter a nomination period for new names; all community members will be allowed to nominate names.
2. We will VOTE on a short-list of ranked names following a DISCUSSion
3. We will submit this short-list of ranked names to name search process as outlined in [1] and [2] to determine their suitability (ensure they are clear of trademarks/copyrights and brand confusion)
3a. Results and artifacts generated through the name search will be documented on JIRA, Confluence.
4. We will VOTE amongst the appropriate names to select a new name.
5. Once a new name has been selected the project will no longer be named “SensSoft”, and we will begin the process of work with INFRA to reflect the changes in our repos, etc., and modifying our documentation to reflect this change (e.g., Wiki, Website).

Starting Actions

a. Build out JIRA tickets to reflect steps for identifying and researching names [Action Josh, PPMC can check my work]
b. Build Confl. page to capture research [Action Josh]
c. Build SurveyMonkey form for capturing nominations [Action Josh]

Once we’ve voted on on a on short list (see step 2), we can divvy up research tasks to volunteers in our community.

Thanks again, all!

-J

———— References————

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>