Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2017/08/09 18:08:09 UTC

Geode Nightly Build with Docker

Would changing Geode Nightly Build to run inside Docker solve network bind
failures like we hit last night?

org.apache.geode.cache.wan.GatewayReceiverAutoConnectionSourceDUnitTest >
testBridgeServerAndGatewayReceiverClientAndServerWithGroup FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError: Suspicious strings were written to the log
during this run.
    Fix the strings or use IgnoredException.addIgnoredException to ignore.
    Found suspect string in log4j at line 200

    [error 2017/08/08 20:56:52.894 UTC <RMI TCP Connection(1)-127.0.0.1>
tid=0x13] failed setting interface to /127.0.1.1: java.net.SocketException:
bad argument for IP_MULTICAST_IF: address not bound to any interface
    java.net.SocketException: bad argument for IP_MULTICAST_IF: address not
bound to any interface
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.socketSetOption0(Native Method)
        at
java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.socketSetOption(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:74)
        at
java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.setOption(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:309)
        at java.net.MulticastSocket.setInterface(MulticastSocket.java:471)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP.setInterface(UDP.java:443)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP.createMulticastSocket(UDP.java:511)
        at
org.jgroups.protocols.UDP.createMulticastSocketWithBindPort(UDP.java:494)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP.createSockets(UDP.java:348)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP.start(UDP.java:266)
        at
org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.startStack(ProtocolStack.java:966)
        at org.jgroups.JChannel.startStack(JChannel.java:889)
        at org.jgroups.JChannel._preConnect(JChannel.java:553)
        at org.jgroups.JChannel.connect(JChannel.java:288)
        at org.jgroups.JChannel.connect(JChannel.java:279)
        at
org.apache.geode.distributed.internal.membership.gms.messenger.JGroupsMessenger.start(JGroupsMessenger.java:344)

Re: Geode Nightly Build with Docker

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
I don't think this is a port conflict issue. I think this is a matter of
what our code does when we are running on an ubuntu machine with the
default configuration. Ubuntu puts an entry in /etc/hosts mapping 127.0.1.1
to the local hostname.

We saw this yesterday and Bruce was going to create a couple of JIRAs work
on fixing our code. Bruce, did you get a chance to do that yet?

I suppose we could run inside a centos container and maybe avoid these
issues, but then users will hit this when they run on ubuntu.

-Dan