Posted to user@roller.apache.org by David Koelmeyer <d....@auckland.ac.nz> on 2008/11/02 09:23:54 UTC

ShowPageMenu oddness

Hi All,

Minor but annoying problem I wonder if anyone can help me with.
Roller 4.0 on Glassfish w/ Solaris 10.

It seems that for some blog themes the HTML the ShowPageMenu
macro generates includes a link that is rendered by some of the themes
(eg Indigo) as an extra, empty link.

I've got a grab of this here:

http://web.mac.com/davekoelmeyer/Dave_Koelmeyer/Dave_Koelmeyer_-_Roller_-_Velocity_Oddness_Pics.html

For other themes (eg Brushed Metal) this does not appear (ie all is well).

I might have this wrong and could be the result of operator error. I wonder
if anyone else sees this, or (assuming I know very little about Velocity)
give me an idea about how to fix this?

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers,
Dave

RE: ShowPageMenu oddness

Posted by David Koelmeyer <d....@auckland.ac.nz>.
Hi Anil,

Thanks again - you're right of course, after
doing a crash course in CSS (which I don't
know a lot about at the moment hehe) I hacked
away at my template and fixed the problem I was
seeing. Learnt a thing or three in the process
to boot :)

Cheers,
Dave

From: Anil Gangolli [anil@busybuddha.org]

I'm not quite sure what you're seeing here.  Rendering of the empty link
or list item might vary from theme to theme due to the css applied to
the class (ul li rNavigationBar rNavItem).  My guess is that if you
flush your page caches and view the HTML source of the page, you would
see the item in the page source uniformly even if it is rendered
differently.  I'm not very familiar with the contributed themes.
> Any other clues where else to look would be great :)

If you are still having issues after the above, it might help to compare
the HTML page source of the navbar segments for clues.

Re: ShowPageMenu oddness

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Some  responses inline

David Koelmeyer wrote:
> Hi Anil,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply. I added the
> entry you suggested to my roller-custom.properties
> file but (after a restart) this didn't update the link
> text. I saw that the short name I had entered here
> was reflected on the "main menu" screens (eg on the
> preferences settings screens for a user's blog) so Roller
> is definitely picking this value up.
>
> Getting rid of the Navigation menu is easy, but how
> do I alter what the macro generates?
You can alter what the macro generates by editing the showPageMenu macro
in the weblog.vm file that you find at WEB-INF/velocity/weblog.vm within
your webapp (and restarting).

This excerpt is from the source trunk.  If you remove the first list
item (li element and its contents), you'll get rid of this item.

[...preceding cut...]

#macro(showPageMenu $weblog)
    <ul class="rNavigationBar">
        <li class="rNavItem">
        </li>
        <li class="rNavItem">
        </li>

[...remainder cut ...]

> It's weird that
> depending on what theme I am using I either
> do not see this spurious link at all (eg Brushed
> Metal), or, it's an extra "dead" entry (as in the screengrab
> linked below, eg Rational or Carbonated) or most
> annoying an extra "empty" link that refers the user
> back to the Roller front page.

I'm not quite sure what you're seeing here.  Rendering of the empty link
or list item might vary from theme to theme due to the css applied to
the class (ul li rNavigationBar rNavItem).  My guess is that if you
flush your page caches and view the HTML source of the page, you would
see the item in the page source uniformly even if it is rendered
differently.  I'm not very familiar with the contributed themes.
> Any other clues where else to look would be great :)

If you are still having issues after the above, it might help to compare
the HTML page source of the navbar segments for clues.

--a.

RE: ShowPageMenu oddness

Posted by David Koelmeyer <d....@auckland.ac.nz>.
Hi Anil,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I added the
entry you suggested to my roller-custom.properties
file but (after a restart) this didn't update the link
text. I saw that the short name I had entered here
was reflected on the "main menu" screens (eg on the
preferences settings screens for a user's blog) so Roller
is definitely picking this value up.

Getting rid of the Navigation menu is easy, but how
do I alter what the macro generates? It's weird that

Re: ShowPageMenu oddness

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.