Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ji...@csiro.au on 2005/10/14 06:41:29 UTC

svn: Can't open file 'C:/Projects/ozclim/source/.svn/tmp/text-base/reefclim.dof.svn-base': The system cannot find the file specified.

Gentlefolk,

We ran into a problem which first showed itself as follows.

I have set up a new build box, and attempted to checkout a full project
to it.

Error

svn: In directory 'C:/Projects/ozclim/source'
svn: Can't open file
'C:/Projects/ozclim/source/.svn/tmp/text-base/reefclim.dof.svn-base':

The original repository was created as CVS and migrated to BerkleyDB
under Subversion 1.1.3, using cvs2svn(I think) and accessed using
Apache.

Last August the file mentioned and two others were added according to
the logs.

However they were present in the initial CVS repository, and in a backup
of the SVN repository from March this year.

Issuing the command svn delete for each of the files in turn as they are
reported on successive checkouts seems to leave the repository in a
consistent state and with all three files intact.

Thus I conclude that the problem appears that there were duplicate
entries for these three files after this commit.

Re: svn: Can't open file 'C:/Projects/ozclim/source/.svn/tmp/text-base/reefclim.dof.svn-base': The system cannot find the file specified.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 14, 2005, at 08:41, Jim Ricketts wrote:

> svn: In directory 'C:/Projects/ozclim/source'
> svn: Can't open file
> 'C:/Projects/ozclim/source/.svn/tmp/text-base/reefclim.dof.svn-base':

[snip]

> UU  trunk/delphi/projects/ozclim/source/OSG_Gui_ReefClim.dfm
> A   trunk/delphi/projects/ozclim/source/ReefClim.dof
> A   trunk/delphi/projects/ozclim/source/ReefClim.dpr
> A   trunk/delphi/projects/ozclim/source/ReefClim.res
> U   trunk/delphi/projects/ozclim/source/Sys.pas
> UU  trunk/delphi/projects/ozclim/source/coralbleachSingle.dfm

Looks like you have two versions of the file in the same repository
directory whose names differ only in case (reefclim.dof and
ReefClim.dof). To confirm that this is so, list the contents of the
directory in the repository with "svn ls url://to/repo/directory"

Windows' native case-insensitive filesystem cannot handle this
situation. You should determine which of the two files you want to
keep, then "svn rm" the one you don't need anymore. You can do it
directly in the repository without having a working copy with "svn rm
url://to/repo/directory/file"

New checkouts should then work. To fix existing working copies, read
this:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#case-change

To prevent the situation from happening again, install a pre-commit
hook that prevents additions of files whose names differ only in case
from a file that's already there. The Subversion source distribution
includes such a script in the contrib directory called check-case-
insensitive. Subversion 1.2.3 includes a PERL version, though a
Python version exists in Subversion's trunk, and this version is
supposed to be much better, so you may want to get that instead.