Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2013/12/09 08:42:00 UTC

Re: DataContext select concurrency

So I did some work on this recently and did some benchmarking of various things. In a highly concurrent environment (to the extent I can emulate one on an MBP), just turning off the locking gives about 30% performance increase. Considering the measurements included the actual communication with the DB, this is a lot.

Now to also get consistent data, I tried the queue approach. Instead of using LinkedBlockingQueue, I used LMAX Disruptor [1], which is a rather cool technology for building processing pipelines. The way the implementation worked is that multiple read threads would pass their data rows to Disruptor that will then load them to a single ObjectContext in a single thread. When this is done, waiting threads are notified and can get unblocked.

The results with Disruptor however were exactly equivalent to those with the current synchronized approach. This means single-threaded lock-free rows-to-objects converter was underperforming, running on a single core (the overall CPU load for ~25%, with this one thread doing the work, and others waiting). I guess the gains with technology like Disruptor can only be achieved via “mechanical sympathy” approaches, that require certain CPU-friendly parameters of the executing code.

Regardless of the disappointing result, I think we learned a lot and still need to dig more in this direction. I may commit the prerequisite code that changes “synchronized” to ReentrantLock, hence allowing to turn locking on and off. Also instead of this micro-benchmark I may try it with some of the webapp load tests that simulate more realistic loads.

I also noticed a few things that we might offload to a different pipeline (e.g. updating shared cache… the query thread should not be waiting for that). And a few things that can be done by caller threads to shorten the synchronized block (such pre-constructing all needed ObjectIds).

Finally the fact that DataObjects themselves are non-concurrent prevents certain concurrency optimizations in the ObjectStore. So the Object[] idea is fundamental to further improvements (although I may try by changing CayenneDataObject to ConcurrentHashMap internally).

Anyways, lots of things we can improve and so little time :)

Andrus

[1] http://lmax-exchange.github.io/disruptor/