Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/19 05:25:06 UTC

mina-protocol-http-client, AsyncWeb and Jakarta HttpComponents

Hi,

I'd like to discuss 2 ideas in this post.  (Apologies for cross-posting ;)

1) What do you think about merging existing mina-protocol-http-client
module into asyncweb?  Then AsyncWeb could be a one stop solution for
HTTP client-server communication.  Now the codec is separated from
them into mina-filter-codec-http module, so the number of classes are
pretty small.

2) I also think mina-protocol-http-client module needs more work to
provide enough features to compare with existing HTTP client libraries
such as Jakarta HttpComponents, so moving it into sandbox might be a
better solution considering that we are going to release MINA 2.0.0-M1
soon and we don't want to release unfinished module.  It also might be
the best idea to cooperate with HttpComponents team to make our
current HTTP codec (i.e. mina-filter-codec-http) and mina-core plug
into HttpComponents NIO extension very easily.  I'd like to know what
the HttpComponents team think about this issue.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: mina-protocol-http-client, AsyncWeb and Jakarta HttpComponents

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

> > If the intent is to entirely replace HTTPNIO, then there are at least 4
> > frameworks that could fit the bill:

Not at all! We love HTTPCore NIO! We are using it in Synapse and its very
effective.

Paul

RE: mina-protocol-http-client, AsyncWeb and Jakarta HttpComponents

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 10:47 -0500, Rezaei, Mohammad A. wrote:
> If the intent is to entirely replace HTTPNIO, then there are at least 4
> frameworks that could fit the bill:
>
> http://nioframework.sourceforge.net/
> https://grizzly.dev.java.net/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsocket/
> http://mina.apache.org/
>
> A very recent and interesting thread:
>
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5213915&tstart=0
>
> There are older benchmarks out there that compare Grizzly and Mina.
>
> NIO is all about performance and scalability, so it should be straight
> forward to choose a framework.
>
> Thanks
> Moh

Hi Mohammad,

No, there is no such intent. I personally think it still makes sense to
continue offering HttpCore as a zero dependency HTTP engine capable of
both synchronous and asynchronous I/O based on our own NIO framework.
NIO extensions were built to be minimalistic, fast, memory efficient,
and tailored specifically to requirements of the HTTP protocol. Having
said that, we should also support a more generic NIO framework for those
cases when people want to run multiple protocols on top of the same I/O
infrastructure. I am also of opinion MINA 1.x is fatally flawed, so it
would not be my personal choice. Hopefully MINA 2.0 will have a better
memory management.

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Tatu Saloranta <co...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Rezaei, Mohammad A." <Mo...@gs.com>

> NIO is all about performance and scalability, so it
> should be straight
> forward to choose a framework.

More specifically, NIO is mostly about scalability,
and not all that much about performance. At least if
performance is thought of as efficiency.
NIO can be used to alleviate specific concurrency
problems (one thread per connection, lotsa inactive
open connections), and allows scaling things to
systems with higher concurrency demands. But generally
it does not help with throughput, for example.

-+ Tatu +-

RE: mina-protocol-http-client, AsyncWeb and Jakarta HttpComponents

Posted by "Rezaei, Mohammad A." <Mo...@gs.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 11:31 +0000, Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Oleg
>
> They refused. Some did that in a very offensive manner.
>

> I understood there might be some feeling about this which is why I said:
>
> > > think I will shut up now!
> >

> However, I think you're attitude is right - if there are people here who are
> willing to try to work with MINA then we should, but if no-one has time or
> inclination, I don't think we should worry about it either.
>
> I like the idea of putting HTTPCore over APR.  What is Grizzly?

Grizzly is a NIO framework / a set of HTTP components used by Sun's
Glassfish application server.

I still have to take a closer look at it, but from what I have learned
so far, Grizzly appears to be more compatible with HttpCore's way of
doing NIO and it does not seem to have the shortcomings MINA has.

https://grizzly.dev.java.net/

Oleg

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Oleg

They refused. Some did that in a very offensive manner.

I understood there might be some feeling about this which is why I said:

> > think I will shut up now!

However, I think you're attitude is right - if there are people here who are
willing to try to work with MINA then we should, but if no-one has time or
inclination, I don't think we should worry about it either.

I like the idea of putting HTTPCore over APR.  What is Grizzly?

Paul

> I am aware I have a tendency of being difficult on the personal level,
> so I want to stay away from everything MINA related, but will happily
> assist anyone interested in using HttpComponents on top of MINA.
>
> Evil Comrade Oleg
>

> > On Nov 23, 2007 5:52 AM, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Roland,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the response.  Let's wait and see how people think about
> > > this issue.  Probably Jeff will also have something to say.  :)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Trustin

> > > --
> > > what we call human nature is actually human habit
> > > --
> > > http://gleamynode.net/
> > > --
> > > PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > httpcomponents-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> httpcomponents-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: mina-protocol-http-client, AsyncWeb and Jakarta HttpComponents

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Roland,

http://gleamynode.net/

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Roland,

http://gleamynode.net/

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
That sounds exciting!  I also hope it compiles OK against the latest
mina-filter-codec-http module.  Let me look forward incoming patches
from you.  When would you post the patch? :)

Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.