Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Burgess <jo...@riskdecisions.com> on 2004/08/02 12:02:42 UTC

Re: created pdf via FOP, try to load via https and get unsafe ActiveX control msg

Robert

I started having a similar problem on my nt4 sp4 box - to display pdf files
I had to save them to disk and then open them.  Some googling eventually
gave the information that the most likely cause was to high a version of one
of the activex dlls (unfortunately I can't remember which) and there was a
microsoft technet article on how to re-install the correct one.

Another point is that making the generated reports or invoices etc available
in a published folder isn't very secure.  At some point you will need a job
to delete all the pdf files and of course a hacker can try out different pdf
file names in the url until they luck into seeing their rivals invoices
etc..
Instead you should set the mime type to application/pdf (I think - you'll
need to check that as I'm away from my dev machine) and just stream the pdf
file down the line.  You can then delete immediately you've streamed it - or
if you're really slick you can probably cut out the saving of a file
altogether and just pass a suitable stream to fop to output into.

John