Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brian Buesker <bb...@qualcomm.com> on 2005/06/01 00:57:21 UTC

Re: fsfs migration failure. File too large??

kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>

>>>If this is a real problem, I would suggest a warning in the release
>>>notes.
>>>

>>So far, nobody's reported a problem.
>>

>Someone would have to commit >2GB worth of *differences* in a single
>commit.  It could happen -- and probably will, eventually -- so
>perhaps a mention in the release notes or FAQ would be a good idea.
>However, it's not as much of a showstopper as it might at first sound
>like.

Actually, I did run into this limitation a while back. We're storing
RPMs in a repository to allow us to roll our own Fedora Core releases
which include various updates. The RPMs are fetched via HTTP during the
install (where the URLs are actually ones in our repository). There were
a lot of updated RPMs when we rolled a release. Initially we were using
BDB, so when we tried to switch to FSFS, the load failed because of this
exact problem. I wound up just writing a quick perl script to split the
large revisions into separate dump files, and then doing the load with
those. It was somewhat of a hack, but it got the job done for the
migration.

Now we are just careful when adding new RPMs that we don't commit too
much in a single rev.