Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Duncan Krebs <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/04 16:53:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Binds to all IP addresses with Listen directive

Hi,
  I'm trying to run Apache and IIS on the same machine using different IP addresses. From reading up in the doucmentation it sounds like if I only want Apache to bind to specific IP addresses I can use the Listen ipaddress:port directive to specify which IP addresses I want to use. I currently have three Listen directives in the configuration file, I start apache as a service which starts fine but then when I try to start an IIS website on a specific IP address not specified in one of my Listen directives I still get an error saying Address already in use. When Apache is not running it starts fine.

  Does anyone know if I have to include more information to stop apache from binding to all IP addresses or should the presence of atleast one Listen directive prevent it from binding to all IP's? Thanks for any help - Duncan

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Binds to all IP addresses with Listen directive

Posted by Duncan Krebs <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Holy cow,
  Larry much thanks as that would have taken me a long time to figure out, I'm now convinced that IIS the culprit.

Larry Flathmann <ma...@elrancho.com.mx> wrote:
  Hi Duncan,

Be careful about making accusations!

Apache is very well behaved and uses only the IP addresses that you tell
it to. IIS is the one who automatically and without notice tries to grab
all IP addresses, even IP's that are not used by any of the websites
it's configured to serve.

To fix the config of IIS,
for IIS5: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238131/
for IIS6: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813368/EN-US/

You can also find lots of other explanatory articles by searching for
"disable socket pooling"

--Larry

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Binds to all IP addresses with Listen directive

Posted by Larry Flathmann <ma...@elrancho.com.mx>.