Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Szymon Janc <ja...@apache.org> on 2020/03/18 23:05:47 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 1.8.0-rc1 and Apache NimBLE 1.3.0-rc1

Hello all,

I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of
Apache Mynewt 1.8.0 and Apache NimBLE 1.3.0.

Apache Mynewt is a community-driven, permissively licensed open source
initiative for constrained, embedded applications. Mynewt provides a
real-time operating system, flash file system, network stacks, and
support utilities for real-world embedded systems.

Apache NimBLE is Bluetooth Low Energy 5.1 stack from Apache Mynewt.

This release is coordinated release of Apache Mynewt and NimBLE. Future
NimBLE releases may be released separately depending on needs.

For full release notes for both Mynewt and NimBLE, please visit the Apache
Mynewt Wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Release+Notes

Apache Mynewt and Apache NimBLE release candidates were tested as follows:
  1. Manual execution of the Mynewt test plan:
     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Test+Plan
     The test results can be found at:
     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/1.8.0+Test+Results
  2. Manual execution of the NimBLE test plan:
     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+NimBLE+Test+Plan
     The test results can be found at:
     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/NimBLE+1.3.0+Test+Results

     Note that this testing is not yet complete and more results will show while
     voting is ongoing.

  2. The full unit test suite for both releases was executed via "newt test all"
     with no failures. This testing was performed on the following platforms:
       * OS X 10.15
       * Fedora Linux 32

The release candidate to be voted on is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-nimble-1.3.0/rc1/

The commits under consideration are as follows:
blinky:
  repos: https://github.com/apache/mynewt-blinky
  commit 51fdaca7faffd9ff37df1b1d11f11007fc30c8cd
core:
  repos: https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core
  commit fce93de30559adcb9bbaa1807ace31a16505c988
newt:
  repos: https://github.com/apache/mynewt-newt
  commit ab96a8ac29568516dddf56af00bab856ebd93e18
newtmgr:
  repos: https://github.com/apache/mynewt-newtmgr
  commit 199917cf7f3ff8443697ef03d67bb0459ba8339c
nimble:
  repos: https://github.com/apache/mynewt-nimble
  commit 47cf31f687a5e56dd831f8387c9574f38bda0191

In addition, the following newt and newtmgr convenience binaries are available:
  linux:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/apache-mynewt-newt-bin-linux-1.8.0.tgz
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/apache-mynewt-newtmgr-bin-linux-1.8.0.tgz

  osx:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/apache-mynewt-newt-bin-osx-1.8.0.tgz
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/apache-mynewt-newtmgr-bin-osx-1.8.0.tgz

  windows:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/apache-mynewt-newt-bin-windows-1.8.0.tgz
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/apache-mynewt-1.8.0/rc1/apache-mynewt-newtmgr-bin-windows-1.8.0.tgz

The release candidate is signed with a GPG key available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mynewt/KEYS

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
least three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object

Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just committers,
please feel free to try out the release candidate and provide your
votes.

A separate [DISCUSS] thread will be opened to talk about this release
candidate.

--
pozdrawiam
Szymon Janc

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 1.8.0-rc1 and Apache NimBLE 1.3.0-rc1

Posted by Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi,

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 13:59:05 CET Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Yeap, this is being fixed in
> > https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/2248
> Good to know, however I see another possible issue here:
> " The copyright holder assumes no responsibility
>  * for the consequences of use
>  * of such information nor for any infringement of patents or
>  * other rights of third parties which may result from its use.
>  * No license is granted by implication or otherwise under any patent or
>  * patent rights of the copyright holder.”
>
> That would possibly be against the terms of the Apache license, (see section
> 3 grant of patent license) you may want to check this on legal dicuss.

We clarified this offline with copyright holder that intention was to use
BSD-3 license and this additional statement can be removed. PR is updated and
I'll merge once CI is finished.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yeap, this is being fixed in https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/2248

Good to know, however I see another possible issue here:
" The copyright holder assumes no responsibility
 * for the consequences of use
 * of such information nor for any infringement of patents or
 * other rights of third parties which may result from its use.
 * No license is granted by implication or otherwise under any patent or
 * patent rights of the copyright holder.”

That would possibly be against the terms of the Apache license, (see section 3 grant of patent license) you may want to check this on legal dicuss.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 1.8.0-rc1 and Apache NimBLE 1.3.0-rc1

Posted by Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi,

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 12:17:04 CET Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> * Which also seem to have an incorrect headers?
> >
> > While [15] is indeed odd, what do you mean by incorrect headers in other
> > files?
>
> 3rd party files shouldn’t have ASF headers on them.

Yeap, this is being fixed in https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/2248

> > So just to be sure, NOTICE should have listed all 3rd party but APL2
> > licensed code, while LICENCE should list all non-APL code?
>
> Not quite, if some code in included from an ALv2 project and it has a NOTICE
> file you need to look at it’s NOTICE and include the relevant parts in
> yours. If it doesn’t have a NOTICE file then nothing needs to be done.

Understood. I did some more reading on ASF pages and I think I have good
understanding now on how this should look.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Vipul Rahane <vr...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding, tested with the latest on. Custom board, everything works well.

Regards,
Vipul Rahane

Vipul Rahane

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 1.8.0-rc1 and Apache NimBLE 1.3.0-rc1

Posted by Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi Justin,