Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu> on 2012/11/15 19:09:41 UTC

search influenced by token attributes

We have been reading that there are new flexible indexing capabilities in Lucene 4.0.  This seems very promising and useful for what we're trying to do, but we can't find documentation on exactly how to implement something.

Here's our problem setting: we're trying to incorporate attributes onto terms/spans in indexes, and also in the scoring.  For example, if we're looking for a query term of "pain" but a document says "no pain" (negation) or "severe pain" (degree) or "au bon pain" (disamiguation), we will have indexed the document's token as having additional data.  We have implemented negation successfully in previous versions of Lucene by using Payloads, but in principle there are more difficult structures to match that we are not sure Payloads will suffice for.

Additionally, we want to be able to define how we score the additional attributes without being tied to a single search model.

We've been looking at this page:
http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0-BETA/core/org/apache/lucene/search/package-summary.html#package_description
and can see some of what we're trying to do implemented through these means.  Is this the same thing as flexible indexing, or are we missing something fundamental?

Regards,
James Masanz