Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Wellington Camargo <wc...@feb.unesp.br> on 2011/12/05 14:28:25 UTC

Instance of Individuals from database

Hi all.

    Firstly, excuse my limited English, I'm a student yet.

    I have a Moodle database with data about students, and have an OWL
    file with the ontology. I have too a rule file with the rules which
    allow the inference about the student's performance.

    The OWL is only a model, I would like to get the database
    information, use it as individuals and apply the inference rules to
    get the performance.

    What is the best way to do it?

Thank you,
Wellington.

Re: Instance of Individuals from database

Posted by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com>.
Hi Wellington,
On 05/12/11 13:28, Wellington Camargo wrote:
> I have a Moodle database with data about students, and have an OWL
> file with the ontology. I have too a rule file with the rules which
> allow the inference about the student's performance.
>
> The OWL is only a model, I would like to get the database
> information, use it as individuals and apply the inference rules to
> get the performance.
>
> What is the best way to do it?
Essentially what you are asking for is mapping relational data to RDF.
As it happens, there is a current W3C activity to standardise the basic
approach in this area. See [1] for details. D2RQ [2] is one of the more
mature implementations of R2RML, which works well with Jena

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/r2rml/
[2] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/d2rq/

Hth,
Ian

Ian Dickinson                   Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
mailto:ian@epimorphics.com        http://www.epimorphics.com
cell: +44-7786-850536              landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd.  is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
               Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK