Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rs...@transentric.com on 2002/06/25 15:58:51 UTC

how do I set up a information distribution list

Has anyone used Apache James? I have a bunch of email address that I need
to send emails, regularly. Something like a mailing list. More specifically
a one way mailing list (or information dissemination list). The email
should be customized with the person's name, etc. The person's details
could either be stored in a database (or in an excel spreadsheet). I
suppose I'd need to write an application to support the customized email.
Or maybe not if someone has better ideas. Please remember the email text
could change for every newsletter.

 I think I've a general idea (let me know if this is how it should be
       done):

An account manager uses a webpage to write up the body. And uses home-grown
       tags at certain places in the body (such as <person_name>, where the
       recepient's name ought to appear). This goes to the webserver which
       parses the email, queries the DB, plugs in the required info, and
       then sends out the email to the bunch of email address. Ofcourse,
       the marketing dept, or whoever writes up the emails ought to know
       the tag names.

Has anyone done this? If someone could provide some tips or point me in the
       right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

RS