Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Miller <dm...@amfes.com> on 2015/11/18 10:10:09 UTC

Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

Hi!

I'm a very inexperienced user with Solr.  I've been using Solr to
provide indexes for my Dovecot IMAP server.  Using version 3.x, and
later 4.x, I have been able to do so without too much of a challenge.
However, version 5.x has certainly changed quite a bit and I'm very
uncertain how to proceed.

I currently have a working 4.10.3 installation, using the "example"
server provided with the Solr distribution package, and a schema.xml
optimized for Dovecot.  I haven't found anything on migrating from 4 to
5 - at least anything I actually understood.  Can you point me in the
right direction?

--
Daniel

Re: Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> > Looking under solr5/server/solr I see configsets with the three default choices. What "feels" right is to make a new folder in there for my app (dovecot) and then copy my solr4/example/solr/collection1/conf folder. I'm hoping I'm on the right track - maybe working too hard.
>
> If you have an existing conf you don’t need to worry about config sets.
> That is a new concept for kickstarting new cores from.
>
> > If that was correct, then I tried "solr create -n dovecot -c dovecot" (after stopping my old server and starting a new one) and it did create an entry. I then stopped the server, copied my old data folder over to the new location, and started the server.
>
> Assuming you’re not using SolrCloud.
> 1. Copy the server/ folder to your new location
> 2. cd server/solr (or the location you defined as SOLR HOME)
> 3. cp -r /path/to/old/solr4/SOLR_HOME/dovecot .
> 4. Make sure there is a core.properties file in the dovecot folder
> 5. Start solr, and you should have your core up and running as before

You can point Solr 5 at an existing directory (SOLR_HOME) that contains
your index and configs with the -s parameter:

bin/solr start -s /path/to/old/solr_home

Upayavira

Re: Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
> Looking under solr5/server/solr I see configsets with the three default choices. What "feels" right is to make a new folder in there for my app (dovecot) and then copy my solr4/example/solr/collection1/conf folder. I'm hoping I'm on the right track - maybe working too hard.

If you have an existing conf you don’t need to worry about config sets. That is a new concept for kickstarting new cores from.

> If that was correct, then I tried "solr create -n dovecot -c dovecot" (after stopping my old server and starting a new one) and it did create an entry. I then stopped the server, copied my old data folder over to the new location, and started the server.

Assuming you’re not using SolrCloud.
1. Copy the server/ folder to your new location
2. cd server/solr (or the location you defined as SOLR HOME)
3. cp -r /path/to/old/solr4/SOLR_HOME/dovecot .
4. Make sure there is a core.properties file in the dovecot folder
5. Start solr, and you should have your core up and running as before

If you’re using SolrCloud and ZooKeeper there are other steps to follow.

Jan

Re: Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

Posted by Muhammad Zahid Iqbal <za...@northbaysolutions.net>.
Daniel,

You are close, delete those *configsets* folder and paste you
*collection1 *folder
and run the server. It will do the trick.

Re: Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

Posted by Daniel Miller <dm...@amfes.com>.

Re: Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

Posted by Muhammad Zahid Iqbal <za...@northbaysolutions.net>.