Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org> on 2004/07/27 11:22:40 UTC

How to enforce character-set encoding

Dear all,

quite often, my users stumble over the problem, that any other users
makes use of a character set encoding that they do not have installed.

Usually, I make them read the following posting:
<http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svnusers/archive-2004-06/0022.shtml>

However, some of them are developers only and, hence, have I no clue
what this is all about.

Therefore my question:
- is there any possibility to specify a character set encoding on the
  server-side?  I mean: can I as the repository administrator enforce
  a character encoding?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |

Re: How to enforce character-set encoding

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> [2004-07-27 17:11]:
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 09:37, Lukas Ruf wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to get this pre-commit hook script of
> > Subversion's own repository?  I have a local copy of subversion
> > but do not find the pre-commit script mentioned.
>
> It's in the svn tree, in /tools/hook-scripts/ :
>
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/verify-po.py

forgot to run an update...

!84> svn up
U  commit-access-control.pl.in
A  verify-po.py
U  mailer/mailer.py
U  mailer/mailer.conf.example
U  propchange-email.pl.in
U  commit-email.pl.in
Updated to revision 10425.

Thanks a lot!

wbr,
Lukas

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> [2004-07-27 15:52]:
>
> Sure, you could write a pre-commit hook script that verifies that
> all incoming data is in a certain encoding, and reject the commit if
> not.
>
> For example, I believe Subversion's own repository has a pre-commit
> hook script that verifies that all our .po files are UTF8-encoded.

Is there any way to get this pre-commit hook script of Subversion's
own repository?  I have a local copy of subversion but do not find the
pre-commit script mentioned.

Thanks!

wbr,
Lukas