Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Tim Good <ts...@verizon.net> on 2001/05/21 15:47:12 UTC

Installation Wall--text/html must be text/xml ?

I have worked to get soap installed for about 8 hours but have hit a wall
and need some help interpreting what I am seeing using the tunnel GUI.  I
have gone over classpaths and made sure the mail and activation jars are
available.

I'm using Tomcat 3.2.1    SOAP 2.1   Xerces 1.3.0  NT Server 4.0

The send is:

POST /soap/servlet/rpcrouter HTTP/1.0Host: localhost:8989Content-Type:
text/xml; charset=utf-8Content-Length: 2972SOAPAction: ""<?xml version='1.0'
encoding='UTF-8'?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"><SOAP-ENV:Body><ns1:deploy
xmlns:ns1="urn:xml-soap-service-management-service"
SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><descript
or xmlns:ns2="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap"
xsi:type="ns2:DeploymentDescriptor"><faultListener
xmlns:ns3="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xsi:type="ns3:Array"
ns3:arrayType="xsd:string[1]"><item
xsi:type="xsd:string">org.apache.soap.server.DOMFaultListener</item></faultL
istener><providerClass
xsi:type="xsd:string">samples.addressbook.AddressBook</providerClass><servic
eType xsi:type="xsd:int">0</serviceType><serviceClass xsi:type="xsd:string"
xsi:null="true"/><methods
xmlns:ns4="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xsi:type="ns4:Array"
ns4:arrayType="xsd:string[4]"><item xsi:type="

Response is:

HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server ErrorContent-Type: text/htmlServlet-Engine:
Tomcat Web Server/3.2.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.3.0; Windows NT 4.0
x86; java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)

Tomcat consol shows the following error message:

c:\soap\samples\addressbook>java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8989/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy
deploymentdescritptor.xml

Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Protocol; msg=
Unsupported response content type "text/html", must be: "text/xml".

Response was: ]

at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.getEnvelopeSTring(Call.java:173)
   org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:210)

org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClien
t.java:127)

org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.deploy(ServiceManagerClient.java
:140)

org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:2
28)

Any ideas much appreciated.  I want to see how SOAP works and not spend any
more time endlessly messing with this installation!

RE: Installation Wall--didn't show you all of string

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
At 05:32 PM 5/21/2001 -0400, Tim Good wrote:
>I just ran it all again (yes, 3 windows were open) and that was all that the
>tcptunnelgui captured;  I had scrolled to the bottom of the tunnel
>window....it just breaks off in the middle of the attribute...
>
>Tomcat is not generateing a tomcat.log.....so I assume that this means there
>are no errors to report as far as it is concerned??

I think that's right. And as I said, this break-off-in-the-middle is really
strange. Does the send always quit at the same point, (ending with
   <item xsi:type="
in your first sample?) Suppose you try again, without restarting tcptunnelgui.
Before, you got about a third (just under a thousand) of the promised 2972
characters. If you try deploying a different service, does it break off at a
similar point logically, e.g. after some attribute's opening quote, or does
it break off at the same point physically, after the same number of chars?
If you run repeatedly with tcptunnelgui, does the breakoff point change?
If you startup your browser at http://localhost:8989/ and look at what goes
through each way to/from Tomcat, is there a cutoff point there, in either
direction?   Hmm...within the browser, can you deploy a service?
   My setup is the same as yours so far as I can see, except that
    (a) I'm using W98, not NT, and
    (b) I'm using jdk1.2.2, not 1.3, and
    (c) I'm ignoring classpath issues for the most part; I put jars into the
       JAVA_HOME's jre/lib/ext, which diminishes my flexibility but, hey, I
       spend less time flexing than I once did and mostly it works okay, and
    (d) I'm not having any of the problems you're seeing.

   I doubt that any of this is asking the right question, but I just don't see
the right question. I hereby conjecture that you've got a 1024-char (?) buffer
being filled, and that somewhere in processing that buffer something is
going wrong, and that the next is therefore never accepted. (Remember, my
last conjecture was wrong too, and probably the one before that.)

   You're calling on org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main
     which calls on org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.deploy
       which calls on org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod
         which calls org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke()
           which calls org.apache.soap.transport.http.SOAPHTTPConnection.send()
             which puts the call's envelope into a string
                   and wraps the string as an org.apache.soap.transport.TransportMessage
                   and calls org.apache.soap.util.net.HTTPUtils.post()
which says:

       BufferedOutputStream bOutStream = new BufferedOutputStream(outStream);
       bOutStream.write(
           headerbuf.toString().getBytes(Constants.HEADERVAL_DEFAULT_CHARSET));
       request.writeTo(bOutStream);
       bOutStream.flush();
       outStream.flush();
and that request.writeTo which is
    org.apache.soap.transport.TransportMessage.writeTo is

     public void writeTo(OutputStream outStream) throws IOException {
         outStream.write(bytes, offset, bytes.length - offset);
         outStream.flush();
     }

And somehow, tcptunnelgui thinks that this write is incomplete.

And what's actually happening at the server end? Well, there we have the

   org.apache.soap.server.http.RPCRouterServlet.doPost
     calls on org.apache.soap.server.http.ServerHTTPUtils.readEnvelopeFromRequest()
       calls on org.apache.soap.server.ServerUtils.readEnvelopeFromInputStream()
         which makes a new TransportMessage out of that InputStream, just asking
           it to read itself block by block into the bytes array.

So what I would do if this were happening on my system is: I would write a
version of Call.invoke() which would be be cobbled together from the source
that seems to be executed when you execute Call.invoke(), only of course
I wouldn't bother with deserializing at the client end; I'd just echo the
invocation and the response, so I might call it echoInvoke. Then I would
call it, in an editted copy of org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.java,
replacing call.invoke(..) with echoInvoke(call,...) and not worrying about
returning a result. It so happens that I wrote echoInvoke a while ago just as
a clunky way to take myself through what was going on, so I'll include it; I
briefly used a version of GetAddress which replaced the line
   resp = call.invoke(url, "");
with the two lines
   try{echoInvoke(call,url,"");}
   catch(Exception ex){throw new SOAPException("soapex","from echoInvoke",ex);}
and it was just the same from the server point of view; I think it would be the
same within an editted copy of ServiceManagerClient.java, too. If I didn't learn
anything from that, I'd start doing the same at the server side. Eventually I might
learn how to ask a better question. But maybe I wouldn't.
   Good luck....
Tom Myers

---echoInvoke----  -- requires import org.apache.soap.transport.*;

   public static void echoInvoke(Call call,URL url,String action)throws Exception{
     Envelope env=call.buildEnvelope();
     java.io.StringWriter sw=new java.io.StringWriter();
     env.marshall(sw,call.getSOAPMappingRegistry(), call.getSOAPContext());
     String payload=sw.toString();
     Hashtable headers=new Hashtable();
     action='\"' + action + '\"';
     headers.put ("SOAPAction",action);
     TransportMessage msg = new TransportMessage(payload, call.getSOAPContext(), headers);
     msg.save();
     int timeout=0;
       int port= url.getPort(); if(port<0)port=80;
       Socket s = new Socket(url.getHost(),port);
       s.setSoTimeout(timeout);
       OutputStream outStream = s.getOutputStream ();
       InputStream inStream = s.getInputStream ();

       /* Construct the HTTP header. */
       StringBuffer headerbuf = new StringBuffer();
       headerbuf.append("POST ")
               .append(url.getFile()).append(" HTTP/1.0\r\n")
           .append("Host: ")
              .append(url.getHost()).append(':').append(port).append("\r\n")
           .append("Content-Type: ")
              .append(msg.getContentType()).append("\r\n")
           .append("Content-Length: ")
              .append(msg.getContentLength()).append("\r\n");
       for (Enumeration e = msg.getHeaderNames(); e.hasMoreElements(); ) {
           Object key = e.nextElement();
           headerbuf.append(key).append(": ")
               .append(msg.getHeader((String)key)).append("\r\n");
       }
       headerbuf.append("\r\n");
      /* Send headerbuf and msg. */
       BufferedOutputStream bOutStream = new BufferedOutputStream(outStream);
       bOutStream.write(headerbuf.toString().getBytes("iso-8859-1"));
       msg.writeTo(bOutStream);
       bOutStream.flush();
       outStream.flush();

// echo headerbuf and msg to stdout:
       System.out.write(headerbuf.toString().getBytes("iso-8859-1"));
       msg.writeTo(System.out);
       System.out.flush();

       System.out.println(); System.out.println("-----and the response is:-------");
       BufferedInputStream bInStream = new BufferedInputStream(inStream);
       InputStreamReader reader=new InputStreamReader(bInStream,"iso-8859-1");
       sw=new java.io.StringWriter();
       for(int ch=reader.read();ch>=0;ch=reader.read())sw.write((char)ch);
       System.out.println(sw.toString());

       bOutStream.close();
       outStream.close();
       bInStream.close();
       inStream.close();
       s.close();

  }

RE: Installation Wall--didn't show you all of string

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient http://localhost:8989/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy DeploymentDescriptor.xml

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.

RE: Installation Wall--text/html must be text/xml ?

Posted by Tim Good <ts...@verizon.net>.
Tom,

Sorry for the misspelling.  It is spelled correctly in the directory (and in
fact, I simplfied it to dd.xml when attempting to deploy so I know this was
not an issue during the hundreds of times I tried to get this deployed).

Any other thoughts still appreciated.  For now, I'm dead in the water
without SOAP!

Thanks.
Tim
At 09:47 AM 5/21/2001 -0400, Tim Good wrote:
>I have worked to get soap installed for about 8 hours but have hit a wall
>and need some help interpreting what I am seeing using the tunnel GUI.  I
>have gone over classpaths and made sure the mail and activation jars are
>available.
>
>I'm using Tomcat 3.2.1    SOAP 2.1   Xerces 1.3.0  NT Server 4.0
>
>The send is:
>
>POST /soap/servlet/rpcrouter HTTP/1.0Host: localhost:8989Content-Type:
>text/xml; charset=utf-8Content-Length: 2972SOAPAction: ""<?xml
version='1.0'
>encoding='UTF-8'?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope........
>Response is:
>
>HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server ErrorContent-Type: text/htmlServlet-Engine:
>Tomcat Web Server/3.2.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.3.0; Windows NT 4.0
>x86; java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.)
>
>Tomcat consol shows the following error message:
>
>c:\soap\samples\addressbook>java
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
>http://localhost:8989/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy
>deploymentdescritptor.xml
>
>Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Protocol;
msg=
>Unsupported response content type "text/html", must be: "text/xml".

I'm pretty sure that this exception is irrelevant (or should I say it's
epiphenomenal?) Something goes wrong inside, the server generates a 500
error
which comes as text/html, and that generates an Exception in thread "main".
Incidentally, do you really have a file named "deploymentdescritptor.xml"?
The actual sample file is "DeploymentDescriptor.xml", with one less "t".
Dunno, hope this helps a little.

Tom

RE: Installation Wall--didn't show you all of string

Posted by Tim Good <ts...@verizon.net>.
Tom,

[...]

The response you can see below.

Thanks again.