Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryan Heaton <ry...@theheatonhome.com> on 2002/03/26 06:57:26 UTC

Tomcat Start Problems

I'm on RedHat 7.1, and I've never been able to get Tomcat 4 to start listening for incoming connections.

I've installed both by RPM and by simply unpacking the binary distribution and I get the same problem.  I've got the jdk1.3.1_02 directory set correctly as $JAVA_HOME in the environment, I've got my $CLASSPATH set to servlet.jar (and nothing else), and I've got $JAVA_PATH set to jdk1.3.1_02/bin.

I run the standard init script in /etc/init.d/tomcat4 to start/stop/restart tomcat.  Everything appears to run with no hitch whatsoever, but nothing listens on port 8180 or any other standard tomcat port for that matter (according to netstat -a) after startup.  There's nothing in catalina.out--completely empty (making me assume no hitches).  There are no other logs in the 'logs' directory that are created after startup.

When I run the init script, I do so as root, but from what I can tell that's how I should start it up.

Anyone have any ideas here?  I'm stumped.