Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/13 23:32:27 UTC

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

It's very late in the 5.0 cycle to introduce something new.   I'd
prefer to see this as part of 5.1 ... it may be time to start thinking
about cutting a branch for 5.1 work that we can merge into trunk once
5.0 is GA.  My gut feeling is that this could be a tapestry-osgi
add-on library.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Mike Sandman <mi...@thesandmans.com>.
if the release cycle is indeed only 2-3 months for major releases, then
i would have to agree that my previous comment is invalid--i would keep
it as one complete project released-at-once.  for such a large body of
code it is hard to be much more agile than 2 months.

that said they may be uses for subproject dev release.  but that still
seems of little benefit given the SNAPSHOT feature of maven.

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
If you're going to have regular, consistent, and fairly frequent
releases, then I'd leave 5.0.1, 5.0.2, etc. as patch updates for bug
fixes only.  But if you want newer functionality not in 5.0.x that's
slated for 5.1, then track 5.1-SNAPSHOT - but don't expect it to show
up in 5.0.25.

Is that a fair assessment Howard?

Christian

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
I've found googlecode to be quite handy, though obviously if you have
your own infrastructure, you can always use that.

Christian.

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Going back to the original question. I completely agree that it is to late
to introduce OSGi integration the 5.0.x cycle.
Can we at least resolve the issue TAPESTRY-2519 before 5.1?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2519

It is just an improvement which will stay invisible for the most Tapestry
users. It is really ugly to copy the ClassNameLocatorImpl to be able to
override it.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think a good pattern may be to create a Tapestry commons that
> contains smaller projects on their own schedule, separate from the
> "core" modules.
>
> Further, I'm looking into setting up SVN, project home pages and
> downloads at tapestry.formos.com, to support auxilliary projects that
> (due to licensing or maturity reasons) can't be hosted at Apache.
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Igor Drobiazko
> <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I personally don't like the idea of "version-per-subproject". Managing
> these
> > versions without Maven can be very ugly. There are still a lot of
> developers
> > who download Tapestry binaries manually and put them into their version
> > control system.
> >
> > Another idea of increasing the developer activity would be a so called
> > "sandbox" or "incubator" project (see MyFaces or Eclipse). Some cool
> stuff
> > can be developed in the sandbox. Reaching maturity this stuff can be
> moved
> > into main production.
> >

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I agree that it might make sense to allow sub-projects to release
independently of the core releases.

For instance,  intellij release many EAP versions of their editor
which have a small set of "core" plugins that they
maintain themselves and the rest of the plug-in authors eventually
catch up when they can.

It sounds ironic to have a "component oriented" framework that can't
have independent parts/releases going out.  ;)

I do see how it may start to become a major headache to worry about
too many sub-projects and how they sync up with the core
but it's also a great place to allow committers to work on the project
and stretch their coding muscles.. Ie I think it will be healthy for
Tapestry
to allow ~some~ leniency in allowing people to own their own
sub-projects without having to be overly accountable to the main
release
cycle.   (there are of course some add-ons that do make since to keep
in sync with the mainline releases as they are so commonly
needed /critical to every day use of the framework,  such as the
hibernate support....but OSGI could probably certainly get away with
being released separately. )  You could even go as far as having a
specific core "tapestry add-ons" (or similar sounding) project web
site
where it is made clear which add-ons are core to the framework and
something people can expect to always be present/up to date for every
release
and which add-ons are independently released.

Anyways,  there was another thread not too long ago asking what could
be done to get more developers actively involved and I think
allowing people to work somewhat independently on sub-projects could
be a very easy way to make this happen.  (also becomes easier
for people like Howard to occasionally view a commit log message on a
sub-project without necessarily feeling like everything ~must~ be
poured over carefully if it isn't a core framework/add-on kind of
commit)  Can't have the development team grow and get better at
designing
things as it would "be preferred" without having an outlet for them to
do so that isn't as strict/critical as the core libraries. imho..

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Hilco Wijbenga
<hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd rather we have a process where we can come out with a 5.1, 5.2,
>> 5.3 release every few months.  That's my vision, anyway, add a couple
>> of significant features, work towards a GA release, lather rinse
>> repeat.
>
> Wouldn't that then also allow subprojects to release in between using
> 5.1.x, 5.2.y, etcetera? I mean, can't we have both? It doesn't seem
> too difficult to come up with some sort of scheme that allows
> subprojects to release bug fixes right away without losing the ability
> to easily identify what Tapestry release the subproject belongs to.
>
> (The next Tapestry release could then bump everything up to 5.z so
> that all versions are the same again.)

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry / OGNL / Dojo team member/developer

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Exactly; Hibernate has made this mistake and it's impossible to tell
what versions go with what.  Ditto for Maven.

I'd rather we have a process where we can come out with a 5.1, 5.2,
5.3 release every few months.  That's my vision, anyway, add a couple
of significant features, work towards a GA release, lather rinse
repeat.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org> wrote:
> Yes and no.
> On the one hand, it's nice for each sub-project to have its own release
> lifecycle, etc.
> On the other hand, it makes it really easy to know what is compatible with
> what.
> Consider a scenario like:
> tapestry-core 5.0.14 requires:
>  tapestry-ioc 5.0.7
>  tapestry-annotations 5.0.3
> Since it's a hibernate-based app, we'll be using:
>  tapestry-hibernate 5.0.9
>
> Hm... what are the dependencies of tapestry-hibernate 5.0.9? Is it on
> tapestry-core 5.0.9? Or later? Or 5.0.14? Or...?
> Keeping the version numbers and the releases in-sync makes it easier for a
> person to wrap his/her head around what goes with what.
>
> Robert
>
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 7/141:19 PM , Andreas Andreou wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to consider subprojects having different lifecycle
>> that
>> the master project?
>>
>> So that you could have a release as soon as a major issue in that
>> specific project
>> is fixed - instead of having to do a global release and update version
>> numbers of
>> everything else?
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 on keeping "integration" code in separate modules from core.
>>>
>>> Robert

>> --
>> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
>> Tapestry / Tacos developer
>> Open Source / JEE Consulting

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com>.
Exactly, that's why i'm wondering if there's a third alternative...

And keep in mind i'm mostly talking about the (possible) new subprojects
like osgi and not the existing ones that people expect to be in sync

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Mike Sandman <mi...@thesandmans.com>.
Robert Zeigler wrote:
> Yes and no.
> On the one hand, it's nice for each sub-project to have its own
> release lifecycle, etc.
> On the other hand, it makes it really easy to know what is compatible
> with what.
> Consider a scenario like:
> tapestry-core 5.0.14 requires:
>   tapestry-ioc 5.0.7
>   tapestry-annotations 5.0.3
> Since it's a hibernate-based app, we'll be using:
>   tapestry-hibernate 5.0.9
>
> Hm... what are the dependencies of tapestry-hibernate 5.0.9? Is it on
> tapestry-core 5.0.9? Or later? Or 5.0.14? Or...?
> Keeping the version numbers and the releases in-sync makes it easier
> for a person to wrap his/her head around what goes with what.
>
> Robert

i do like the (theoretical) increase in agility from
release-per-subproject.  i also concede that a big-thump release is
simpler.  however, isn't the intent of Maven to make just these kinds of
dependencies trivial to manage?  i think the more important
question--rather than is it manageable--is: is it needed?

one thought would be to review "release-readiness" for each subproject
on an on-going basis.  meaning, for each subproject make note of when
that subproject is ready for another release relative to the time to
next release of the whole project.  it should be straight forward to
determine if the agility gained by releasing subprojects independently
is worth the added work of configuring the Maven builds to manage
subprojects.

thoughts?

Re: Tapestry and OSGi

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.