Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Ma...@bmi.gv.at on 2009/07/13 09:53:28 UTC

Backup and migration

Hello,

I did not find an entry in the documentation about backing up and
restoring ADS (ver.1.5).
A similar task is migration from development to production server.

Does someone have a hint ?

Regards
M.Muncke

AW: Backup and migration

Posted by Ma...@bmi.gv.at.
Hello,

Theres a bit more to it

You need to copy the server.xml
Then you will have troubles opening items with their own Object definition at server startup like this :

[14:13:48] WARN [org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.DefaultServerEntry] - Cannot read the attribute as it's OID ('2.2.10') does not exist

Etc.

You need to export your own objects and reimport into the new instance. Copyiing files did not work for me.

Regards
M.Muncke

Right now you would have to shutdown the server then just copy or tar up the contents under the partitions folder then restart the server.  Eventually this shutdown/restart must go away for production use that does not require maintenance windows for this process.  I hope to get there for 2.0 but we'll see.
To restore just shutdown the server, and replace the old partitions directory then start the server.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alex Karasulu