Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Andy Konwinski <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/31 19:28:57 UTC

Calling Spark enthusiasts in NYC

Hi folks,

We have seen a lot of community growth outside of the Bay Area and we are
looking to help spur even more!

For starters, the organizers of the Spark meetups here in the Bay Area want
to help anybody that is interested in setting up a meetup in a new city.

Some amazing Spark champions have stepped forward in Seattle, Vancouver,
Boulder/Denver, and a few other areas already.

Right now, we are looking to connect with you Spark enthusiasts in NYC
about helping to run an inaugural Spark Meetup in your area.

You can reply to me directly if you are interested and I can tell you about
all of the resources we have to offer (speakers from the core community, a
budget for food, help scheduling, etc.), and let's make this happen!

Andy

Re: Calling Spark enthusiasts in NYC

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

I would be interested in setting up a meetup in Delhi/NCR, India. Can you
please let me know how to go about organizing it?

Best Regards,
Sonal

<http://in.linkedin.com/in/sonalgoyal>

Posted by giive chen <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy

Posted by Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>.
If you have any questions on helping to get a Spark Meetup off the ground, please do not hesitate to ping me (denny.g.lee@gmail.com).  I helped jump start the one here in Seattle (and tangentially have been helping the Vancouver and Denver ones as well).  HTH!

On March 31, 2014 at 12:35:38 PM, Patrick Grinaway (pgrinaway@gmail.com) wrote:

Also in NYC, definitely interested in a spark meetup!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2014, at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Freeman <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Happy to help with an NYC meet up (just emailed Andy). I recently moved to VA, but am back in NYC quite often, and have been turning several computational people at Columbia / NYU / Simons Foundation onto Spark; there'd definitely be interest in those communities.

-- Jeremy

---------------------
jeremy freeman, phd
neuroscientist
@thefreemanlab

On Mar 31, 2014, at 2:31 PM, Yana Kadiyska <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nicholas, I'm in Boston and would be interested in a Spark group. Not
sure if you know this -- there was a meetup that never got off the
ground. Anyway, I'd be +1 for attending. Not sure what is involved in
organizing. Seems a shame that a city like Boston doesn't have one.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Nicholas Chammas
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
As in, I am interested in helping organize a Spark meetup in the Boston
area.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Nicholas Chammas
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, since this thread has played out as it has, lemme throw in a
shout-out for Boston.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Chris Gore <cd...@cdgore.com> wrote:

We'd love to see a Spark user group in Los Angeles and connect with
others working with it here.

Ping me if you're in the LA area and use Spark at your company (
chris@retentionscience.com ).

Chris

Retention Science
call: 734.272.3099
visit: Site | like: Facebook | follow: Twitter

On Mar 31, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Anurag Dodeja <an...@anuragdodeja.com>
wrote:

How about Chicago?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Montreal or Toronto?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Martin Goodson <ma...@skimlinks.com>
wrote:

How about London?

--
Martin Goodson  |  VP Data Science
(0)20 3397 1240

Posted by Patrick Grinaway <pg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Freeman <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yana Kadiyska <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by François Le Lay <fl...@spotify.com>.
Hi Andy,

NYC speaking! Pretty sure we can come up with something here.
Let's discuss offline!

François

--
François /fly Le Lay
Data Infra Chapter Lead NYC

Re: Calling Spark enthusiasts in NYC

Posted by Chris Gore <cd...@cdgore.com>.

Posted by Surendranauth Hiraman <su...@velos.io>.
We at Velos are willing to get involved too.

Please let me know.

-Suren

SUREN HIRAMAN, VP TECHNOLOGY
Velos