Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Todd Finney <tf...@boygenius.com> on 2005/01/19 21:12:16 UTC

Re: ModPerl Installiation help [lurching OT]

At 01:37 PM 1/19/2005 -0600, Frank Wiles wrote:
>   Upgrading to a recent version such as Fedora Core 2 or preferably
>   Core 3 will help loads in several areas such as securtiy fixes,
>   bug fixes,

Those fixes are available in the source distributions.

>  and most notably speed.

I can't comment on this, as I've never seen benchmark comparisons.

If I had a PHB to answer to, I might be inclined to agree that a fully
supported OS managed exclusively through official packages could be a
better choice.  It's misleading, however, to tell someone that they "need"
to upgrade.  Steve's problems aren't rooted in any inherent deficiencies in
his OS version.

>   Besides all of this it is a very good idea to keep up to date in
>   general. You'll have less issues of software incompatibility if
>   you are not too far behind or too bleeding edge.  I typically
>   stay no more than one version of Core behind.

I disagree, but this is more of a philosophical difference than a technical
one.

Perhaps we should take this off list, if you want to talk more.