Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nick Fisher <ni...@itsinteractive.com> on 2004/02/27 23:25:45 UTC

Two bayes db questions

Hia!
	I've been using SpamAssassin for a few years now and I still love it ;)
Lately I setup a sitewide bayes filter on a mailserver (using spamd) and I'm
seeing a few things I don't understand....

>From local.cf:
bayes_auto_learn 0
bayes_path                      /etc/mail/spamassassin/files/bayes
bayes_file_mode                 0666

1) bayes_journal is growing
Apparently it's normall for bayes_journal to be updated and grow even though
I have 'bayes_auto_learn 0'.... I certainly see it happening on this system.
Can anyone give me a quick answer as to why?

2) spamd tryes to R/W tie to bayes_*
As I have specifyed 'bayes_auto_learn 0' I would have thought that it would
only make a R/O tie.... is there any way I can stop that behaviour (aside
from changing the permissions)?
It's filling up my logs :( I get the following for every single message:

Feb 27 17:19:09 troll spamd[9541]: Cannot open bayes databases
/etc/mail/spamassassin/files/bayes_* R/W: tie failed: Permission denied
Feb 27 17:19:09 troll spamd[9541]: Cannot open bayes databases
/etc/mail/spamassassin/files/bayes_* R/W: tie failed: Permission denied

Many thanks folks......

  Nick

RE: Two bayes db questions (half solved)

Posted by Nick Fisher <ni...@itsinteractive.com>.
> 1) bayes_journal is growing
> Apparently it's normall for bayes_journal to be updated and grow
> even though
> I have 'bayes_auto_learn 0'.... I certainly see it happening on
> this system.
> Can anyone give me a quick answer as to why?
Slap! RTFM!
>From 'man sa-learn':
"""
bayes_journal
While SpamAssassin is scanning mails, it needs to track which tokens it uses
in its calculations.  So that many processes can read the databases
simultaneously, but only one can write at a time, this uses a 'journal'
file.
When you run "sa-learn --rebuild", the journal is read, and the tokens that
were accessed during the journal's lifetime will have their last-access time
updated in the "bayes_toks" database.
"""

> 2) spamd tryes to R/W tie to bayes_*
> As I have specifyed 'bayes_auto_learn 0' I would have thought
> that it would
> only make a R/O tie.... is there any way I can stop that behaviour (aside
> from changing the permissions)?
> It's filling up my logs :( I get the following for every single message:
>
> Feb 27 17:19:09 troll spamd[9541]: Cannot open bayes databases
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/files/bayes_* R/W: tie failed: Permission denied
> Feb 27 17:19:09 troll spamd[9541]: Cannot open bayes databases
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/files/bayes_* R/W: tie failed: Permission denied

Still looking for an answer on this second part tho.....

  Nick