Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/15 16:31:48 UTC

Best practice for voting in a new committer?

What is the current recommended best practice for a podling to vote in a new
committer?

The "Voting in a new committer" section at
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
it suggests a private discussion followed by a public pro-forma vote, and it
has a link to discussion thread about this [1], but reading all the emails
in that thread it sounded like that practice wasn't so liked, eg [2], and
consensus had now changed to be that the vote should take place in private
followed by a public announcement naming those who voted in favour, eg. [3].

Whats the current feeling on this?

Thanks,

   ...ant

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112033720600002
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=112066173416197&w=2
[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=112076377405458&w=2

Re: Best practice for voting in a new committer?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hello Ant,

inside the Trinidad / ADFFACES podling we are following the pattern,
discussed on:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

Inside of Apache MyFaces and Shale (for instance) we do the vote on
the private@ list and "only" announce it on our public lists.

For a podling I really like the "public pattern".

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh