Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org> on 2017/10/19 20:51:05 UTC

golang support pre-1.8 discussion

According to folks on the Go team, they do not support golang older than
1.8 according to an exchange I had about a bug I found and fixed:

https://github.com/golang/mock/issues/119#issuecomment-337968237

Does it make sense to support anything older than golang 1.8 with Thrift
based on this?  Currently we test against golang 1.4.2 in trusty, 1.6.2 in
xenial, and 1.8.3 in artful.  We run cross tests in xenial.

If we set the minimum bar at golang 1.7 then we can eliminate all the
"pre-1.7" go code and x/net/context stuff the project is currently holding
onto.

Thoughts?

- Jim

Re: golang support pre-1.8 discussion

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@apache.org>.
I agree with Jim and Jens. It is hard to move Thrift forward if we have to
support language versions that the language maintainers do not support. To
rationalize this, if you are using old Go, you should also be ok using old
Thrift. I am strongly in favor of not supporting versions of languages that
the language maintainers do not support.

-Randy

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.