Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com> on 2009/08/30 22:40:07 UTC

Coping with BerkeleyDB Upgrades

How do you more experienced users of subversion deal with upgrades to BDB?
I don't know what specific version was the most current here when I first
created the repository and started tracking projects, but it is not the
current 4.4.20 that's installed.

   From my previous thread you know that I could not continue committing
changes to the project because the BDB back end changed, so I had to remove
the repository and all references to it in the project directory and start
over. That's certainly not efficient nor desired for projects that might
span several years and multiple distribution, BDB, and Subversion upgrades.
How can I prevent this from happening again?

   Can I build Subversion using data storage other than Berkeley-DB? It would
be nice to be able to use SQLite or a human readable file for the initial
imports and all the diffs.

TIA,

Rich

Re: Coping with BerkeleyDB Upgrades

Posted by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>.
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Mark Reibert wrote:

> I too have been using SVN since the days when BDB was the default.
> Personally, I think one of the best arguments for FSFS is simply to avoid
> this kind of BDB dependency problem.

Mark,

   I suppose that part of my problem with svn was my looking at it as a tool
that was used intensively during earlier stages of application development,
then not used for a long time. Other than security upgrades I paid no
attention to any changes that occurred. As a result I was unaware of the
change in default backends and of the issues that could arise with BDB.

> There are a couple of ways to handle this:

   Because I have the completed portion of the application working it was no
big deal to remove the old repository and start over using a fresh one. Just
to ensure no future issues, I specified the fs-type during the creation.

Thanks,

Posted by Mark Reibert <sv...@reibert.com>.
Hi Rich,

I too have been using SVN since the days when BDB was the default.
Personally, I think one of the best arguments for FSFS is simply to
avoid this kind of BDB dependency problem.

There are a couple of ways to handle this:

1. If you can get the old BDB (and SVN) back, dump the repo then load it
into a new FSFS repo (using the new SVN).

2. If 1 is not an option, something like what is discussed at
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-09/1184.shtml might help. This is
pretty old, but the concepts might still apply to your situation.

I needed to do the manual upgrade noted in option #2 once, and shortly
thereafter all my repos became FSFS!

Regards,
Mark

Posted by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>.