Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/03/10 22:24:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.3.0-rc.1

Dear community,

I would like to call a vote on Apache CouchDB 1.3.0-rc.1.

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is
made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

The release artefacts we are voting on are available here:

    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.0.tar.gz
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.0.tar.gz.asc
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.0.tar.gz.ish
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.0.tar.gz.md5
    wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.0/rc.1/apache-couchdb-1.3.0.tar.gz.sha

Please follow the test procedure here:

    http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

Please remember that "rc.1" is an annotation. If the vote passes, these
artefacts will be released as Apache CouchDB 1.3.0.

NS

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.3.0-rc.1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Eli,

Yes, sorry, it is a bit confusing.

If you are testing a binary package, then what you are testing is that the
package runs, and that the installation seems okay. Jan, or Dave will
provide any additional steps you should take to test them.

When I am talking about test failures on this thread, I am just talking
about the source release. Specifically, the tests that are run when you run
"make check" from the tarball directory.

The Futon tests have actually been removed from Futon in the release branch
and on master. I decided not to cut a second release candidate for this. I
have completely removed that step from the test procedure. The only thing
you need to run is "make check" from the CLI.

The only thing to watch out for is that the tests can sometimes fail. You
can either run the tests separately a second time, or until they pass. Or
you can just run "make check" a second time.

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Hey folks.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 10 March 2013 22:24, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I would like to call a vote on Apache CouchDB 1.3.0-rc.1.

Thanks Noah!

+1 -- ALL YOUR SPIDERMONKIES ARE BELONG TO US.

gpg sig, md5, sha OK.
tests OK on first run. Truly.
"apache-couchdb-1.3.0 archives ready for distribution"

LGTM on OSX 10.8.2, R15B03-1 and Windows 7 & 8, R15B03-1 also,
spidermonkies 1.8.5.-1.0.0.

I used glazier as usual http://documentup.com/dch/glazier from branch
`release/sdk_7.1_couchdb_1.3.0`

BTW `wget -r -nc -nd
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/1.3.0/rc.1/` is
your friend.

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 1.3.0-rc.1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Great, thanks Dave!

I want to cut rc.2 on Sunday, if that's okay. Looks like I have plans
Monday, as it's a bank holiday.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I am aborting the vote on this release candidate.

We're going to slip in a few critical fixes for the build system and we're
waiting on Wendall's analysis of the tests.

I plan to call a vote on rc.2 on Monday, along with 1.2.2-rc.1.

Thank you to everybody who participated.

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

make distcheck passed all tests on the first try with OSX 10.8.2, Erlang
R15B01, and SpiderMonkey 1.8.5.

Thanks for getting this release going Noah!!

-Russell

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Just a heads-up: for those of you testing on spinning disks (as opposed to SSDs), test/etap/250-upgrade-legacy-view-files.t might fail for you because of a too-low timeout.

I made a quick fix to master that you can use yourself when testing:

    https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=e68f835

Note that this doesn’t constitute a failure in CouchDB itself, just a poor test writing on my end.

Thanks for your patience!

* * *

To solve this properly, we should use _ensure_full_commit instead of a timeout.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Our problem is not that we ship builds with failing tests. (We have never
done this!) It is that we don't ship... Like ever.

You have already confirmed for me that you were able to get every test
passing. The tests are brittle. We're aware of the problem, and we are
working on it. If you were unable to get a specific test passing, then that
would be very concerning, and would likely point to a bug. But if you are
able to get a test passing with a re-run, then is that really a blocker?

I am not prepared to hold up this release until we have tests that never
ever fail. Because we will be waiting too long. We don't need to be
perfect. As long as we are reasonably sure that the tests DO pass then I
think we're fine.

I understand your concern. I really do. I feel the pain. And have felt the
pain for a while now. And we are making inroads in this area. But the tests
do occasionally fail, and we can't just stop shipping until that is fixed.
These are bugs in the test suite. They are not bugs in CouchDB itself.

I will let someone else comment on the segfault.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Also, about the intermittently failing tests causing problems for your
setup at work, I would suggest that you build CouchDB a number of times
until the tests pass. Or, perhaps preferably, figure out why they are
failing on your system, and send us a patch.

I would encourage everyone to keep voting on this. The -1 vote is a serious
matter, but releases cannot be vetoed. The vote will pass if it gets 3
binding +1 votes and a majority approval. So eager to hear more arguments,
and test results, etc.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 12 March 2013 12:19, Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com> wrote:

> My issue is that the process for a typically release takes me about ~2 hrs
> to fully test, build packages and vote. I spent about 6 hours yesterday
> (that I really didn't have, but really care about CouchDB), and still was
> unable to get a successful rpm to build because test failures. These tests
> also take a very long time to complete, so re-running in a loop until they
> pass is a tough proposition.

This is exactly the problem I was facing as the release manage. And this is
the reason I decided to split the tests out from the release candidate
preparation stage. Instead, the tests are moved to the release testing
phase.

I am not sure what to do about this. There seems to be three compounding
issues: there are a lot of tests, the tests take a very long time, and the
tests are flakey. For a build that requires every single one of the tests
to pass, this can mean you're sitting with it for 6 hours or more until you
get a run that happens to have 100% test success. Obviously, this needs to
be fixed.

If we can verify that the tests do in fact pass, when you run
them separately  then my position is that we should release 1.3.0 and then
focus some time and attention on making sure that we're in a better
position for the next release, etc.

That is, considering these major test suite bugs, but not release critical
bugs.

I think one of the things we could do, perhaps after this realise, so as
not to delay it, is actually collect a statistical sample of test results.
i.e. Run the entire test suite like 1000 times on one of these machines.
>From that, we ought to be able to identify the "worst offenders" and then
we can focus our efforts on fixing those up.

Does that sound like a sensible plan? I can work with you on that if you
like?

> What I'd hate to see is a downstream release person getting this,
> expecting to spend an hour on it, and having it eat half their day. Also,
> the current builds break my "production ready" criteria internally, and I
> think this will be the same for others.
>
> While I fully realize that my vote won't slow this from being released,
> I've personally been unable to actually use 1.3.0, as I'm still stuck
> trying to get tests to fully run.

I see what you're saying, and I really want to make life easier for
our down-streams  In this instance though, I feel like the project is stuck
between a rock and a hard place. We're 6 months late releasing 1.3.0. Our
tests are causing problems.

I am currently in in favour of just shipping 1.3.0, buggy test suite and
all, and trying to fix the tests separately. I'd rather see us shipping
releases with buggy tests, than waiting another three months (or whatever)
for the tests to get better.

> As for detailed information, I started another thread for this, and I can
> give any additional details necessary as they are requested. Additionally,
> I'll spend some time today mucking about with the tests a bit to see if I
> can get something useful for an actual report.

Cool. What do you think of my idea about running this n times and
collecting a statistical distribution of failure?

I was reading an article recently about CI systems, and this guy was
showing off (rightly so) that their tests are SO reliable, they fail in
like 1 out of 1 billion runs or something completely absurd and annoyingly
great.

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Bob, testing the release should take 20 mins. If you have it, I'd really
appreciate the feedback, as we seem to be having some issues with flakey
tests. Of course, I totally understand it if you don't.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wallace <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Garren Smith <gs...@redcometlabs.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.
-1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Also, thanks Matt!

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 (but see below)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I changed the release procedure a little bit. The tree-ish is in the
.tar.gz.ish file.

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.

--
Iris Couch