Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Oyarzun <co...@oyarzun.net> on 2021/09/16 12:46:49 UTC

PR #3168 update netbeans.icns to match macOS 11 design guidelines

I created https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3168 to update the
NetBeans macOS icon to match the new icon design guidelines for macOS 11.

As Matthias has pointed out in the PR, the icns file can also be used in
Linux. Since it contains multiple resolutions, it looks better than using
the single resolution png.

All designs are subjective, so I'm looking for feedback on the new icon
design for macOS.

   1. Should we update the icns to match macOS 11 design guidelines? If so,
   should we keep the current design as well?
   2. Should we update NBI's ConfigurationLogic.java to use the icns file
   for Liinux?

Best regards,
Christian

Re: PR #3168 update netbeans.icns to match macOS 11 design guidelines

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
Maybe add a little bit of shading to the white background and/or give the NB logo a subtle drop shadow?  Anything to give it a little bit of depth.  You could even sink the NB logo a little bit into the background (like the compass in Safari’s icon).
There should be a little bit of drop shadow around the background box (I can’t tell if it is there from the image in the PR, the background is too dark to see).

If .icns works for Linux out-of-the-box it makes sense to use it.  If it isn’t well supported on Linux, I would stick to the .png

Scott