Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/12 17:30:37 UTC

Pax Web 8 performance (different JDKs)

Good evening!

I've just pushed last commit before 8.0.0.GA. This commit fixed the
compilation and test problems under JDK17.

Current state is:
 - all the tasks I've planned for 8.0.0.GA are finished
 - all the tests (unit, pax-exam-container-native,
pax-exam-container-karaf) work on JDK 8, JDK 11 and JDK 17

I expected that everything would work few percent slower on JDK 11 than on
JDK 8 (I observed this performance downgrade on several occasions). What I
didn't expect is that generally everything works faster on JDK 17 than on
JDK 8!

Here's the table:

[image: image.png]

I hope to write more about "what is Pax Web 8" soon and that the week of
Sep 13-17 will be the week of the release.

kind regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

Re: Pax Web 8 performance (different JDKs)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
The gc is way better on modern jdk, even 11 (post update 6x IIRC for
openjdk but not oracle jdk which was more conservative).
There was also quite a bunch of optim in common operations - like some
String ones.
Can be a way to explain why it is faster.

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello JBO

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
+1 for the new branch and start working on 4.4.x.

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org
francois.papon@openobject.fr