Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by mrbelvedr <tm...@ktait.com> on 2010/01/17 11:30:16 UTC

Google Commerce Search

Our customer is a Fortune 5 big time company. They have millions of
vendors/products they work with daily. They have budget for whatever we
recommend but we like to use open source if it is a great alternative to
Google Search Appliance or Google Commerce Search.

Google has recently introduced "Google Commerce Search" which allows
ecommerce merchants to have their products indexed by Google and shoppers
may search for products easily.

Here is the URL of their new offering:

http://www.google.com/commercesearch/#utm_source=en-et-na-us-merchants&utm_medium=et&utm_campaign=merchants

Obviously this is a great solution. It offers all the great things like
spell checking, product synonyms, etc.  Is Solr able to do these features:

* Index our MS Sql Server 2008 product table

* Spell check for product brand names - user enters brand "sharpee" and the
search engine will reply "Did you mean 'Sharpie'? "

* We have 2 million products stored in our MS Sql Server 2008, will Solr
handle that many products and give fast search results?

Please advise if Solr will work as well as Google product?

Thx!

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by Mohamed Parvez <pa...@gmail.com>.
>From the Solr Wiki about Query-time synonym expansion
"...synonyms containing multiple words..The recommended approach for dealing
with synonyms like this, is to expand the synonym when indexing. This is
because there are two potential issues that can arise at query time"
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.SynonymFilterFactory

So stuck with query time synonym.

---
Thanks/Regards,
Parvez

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by Mohamed Parvez <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
BTW: If you are looking for somebody to help you with Solr then you can
check the following wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Support

Rgds,
Lukas

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by Pradeep Pujari <pr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by MitchK <mi...@web.de>.
Bill,

are you comparing percentage-rates or total numbers?
Keep in mind that Google own a big part of the traffic-cake.

Kind regards
Mitch

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by mrbelvedr <tm...@ktait.com>.
Thanks for your frank analysis.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by MitchK <mi...@web.de>.
As you know, Solr is fully written in Java and Java is still
plattform-independent. ;)
Learn more about Solr on http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
The Linux file systems are generally at least twice as fast as the
Windows NTFS file system. Solr installations are mostly disk-limited
so this will have a major effect.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM, wojtekpia <wo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> While Solr is functionally platform independent, I have seen much better
> performance on Linux than Windows under high load (related to SOLR-465).
>

> MitchK wrote:
>>
>> As you know, Solr is fully written in Java and Java is still
>> plattform-independent. ;)
>> Learn more about Solr on http://www.lucene.apache.org/solr
>>

>> mrbelvedr wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds great. Could it also run on Windows?  I am interested in
>>> hiring an experienced Solr freelancer to help us set up Solr on Windows
>>> and configure it to index our products. If anybody is interested please
>>> email tmiller@ktait.com
>>>
>>> Thank you!

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by wojtekpia <wo...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by MitchK <mi...@web.de>.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by mrbelvedr <tm...@ktait.com>.

Re: Google Commerce Search

Posted by MitchK <mi...@web.de>.

mrbelvedr wrote:

> * Spell check for product brand names - user enters brand "sharpee" and
> the search engine will reply "Did you mean 'Sharpie'? "

Yes. If you like, Solr returns no "Did you mean" but includes every
"Sharpie" result in the response. You can influcence the relevancy of
stemmed results and exact results.