Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@apache.org> on 2012/09/06 14:34:56 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] POI GSoC project completed

I'm pleased to announce that Evgeniy Berlog has successfully completed
his GSoC project (I was his mentor).

This summer Evgeniy has been working on improving drawing support in
the HSSF module (binary xls format).
Prior to GSoC 2012 HSSF provided a limited support for Excel drawing
layer: it could create new drawings from scratch but could not read or
modify existing ones.
As result, modifying a .xls file with graphic objects (images, shapes,
comments, etc.) resulted in a corrupted file. The fix was in high
demand - we had a bunch of open bug reports on this problem and this
number was steadily growing.

Evgeniy has done an excellent job sorting this all out. Now HSSF can
read and modify drawings of any complexity and all bug reports related
to this problem are resolved.

Congratulations, Evgeniy!