Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk> on 2011/02/01 17:38:56 UTC

Re: get Path of cells referenced to cells of another file

Turns out - at least with regard to the xlsx format OOXML based files that
the whole process is even easier that I first through. Think back to the
formula where you would see something llie this - [1]Sheet1!A1 - well, it
seems as if the integer value identifes the files externalLink1.xml and
externalLink1.xml.rels that together contain the full path information (well
the externalLink1.xml.rels contains teh full path information). There will
be a matching pair of these files for each external workbook that is linked
to. So, if you link to two workbooks there will be four such files
externalLink1.xml/externalLink1.xml.rels, externalLink2.xml and
externalLink2.xml.rels. If you lionk to onw rokbook more than a single time
then the information that specifies the cells linked from with be in the
externalLinkN.xml file and the path information in the
externalLinkN.xml.rels file.

Am still playing about with code to get at the information these files
contain. I suspect it should be possible to iterate through the various
relationships and obtain the raw XML which can then simply be hacked to
strip out the path information. Time is a little pressing at the moment, I
am away from my base and working on a laptop that ought not to have the api
on it, let alone Office, so I cannot promise when I will make any further
progress.

Yours

Mark B