Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/08/06 22:48:08 UTC

Slovakian versus Slovak?

I'm writing up the release announcement blog post for 3.4.1.  Two questions:

1.  When referring to the language with code == "sk", is the preferred
form "Slovakian" or "Slovak"

2. Same question for "sl", is it "Slovenian" or "Slovene"?

I'm finding contradictory information on the web.

-Rob

Re: Slovakian versus Slovak?

Posted by Michal Hriň <mi...@aol.com>.
Hi Rob,

I don't know exact difference between these words.
In Slovak language we had lot of words with same meaning.

I never use word "Slovakian", but in software it is used frequently.

For me is the same
Slovakian == Slovak language
Slovenian == Slovene language

I never seen written Slovene language.

I like Slovak language or Slovak more than Slovakian.

But it depends on context.

What is that language ? Slovakian.
We' ve got new languages: Slovak, Czech, Polish, Slovenian ...

If I find something regular about this theme I'll tell you.

As congress says, use Slovak, it look better for me.

--
Regards
Michal Hriň

Re: Slovakian versus Slovak?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Slovakian versus Slovak?

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

It's extremely hot in Japan!
How about your place?

Re: Slovakian versus Slovak?

Posted by Louis R Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Rob,
On 2012-08-06, at 16:48 , Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm writing up the release announcement blog post for 3.4.1.  Two questions:
>
> 1.  When referring to the language with code == "sk", is the preferred
> form "Slovakian" or "Slovak"
>
> 2. Same question for "sl", is it "Slovenian" or "Slovene"?
>
> I'm finding contradictory information on the web.
>
> -Rob

Commentators around the world comment on articles but also commentate. One is superior to the other but that usually relies on who has the bigger gun: As Noam Chomsky put it, in a slightly different context, the difference between a dialect and a language is a battleship; a shibboleth is a sibboleth is a divisional dispute by any other name or noun, adjective, too.

Perhaps now that we call gynaecologists with a hard not soft "g" and aspirate with vigour the H in vehicle (used to be silent, just read a fine Asimov story on it), but still spell socks with ck and not x, despite a century of effort to stanch that unstaunchable flow of too many consonants and vowels stuffing English words (but not ghoti fish), we end with euphony in syllabification to conclude not with caesurae but consonantal rock.

Ciao
Louis