Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> on 2002/08/16 03:54:08 UTC

Re: [Issue 870] New - import should set svn:executable automatically

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 12:08, issues@subversion.tigris.org wrote:
> + When importing, we should detect executableness on files and set the
> + svn:executable property automatically.

One problem: if I mount an smb share in Linux, (almost) all files are
executable, whether they should be or not.  This is because Windows doesn't
have an executable bit, and Samba uses those bits to store Windows' archive,
read-only and system attributes.

So this might not be totally reliable, and I'd rather have to go through and
manually set svn:executable on my few executable files than have to unset it
on all my other files.  This could affect lots of people who use svn at work;
at my work in the past, all my files were on an NT fileserver mounted through
Samba, even my working directories.  Annoying, but real.

Also, it'd be nice to avoid asymmetry with svn on Windows, where I don't know
how this could work (other than just executable for *.{exe,bat,com}).

I really like your idea for issue-869 though.

--
Peter Davis

Re: [Issue 870] New - import should set svn:executable automatically

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 02:11, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Solution: maybe don't notice x-bit by default, but offer a flag (long
> opt only) to notice & use it?  People will often forget the flag even
> when they want it, which is too bad, but at least it's there for those
> who remember...

I'm -0 on this, and +1 on recognizing the x bit.  It's what CVS does.
The SMB share problem is a corner case, and will affect all sorts of
other operations (cp -r, tar, etc.).

Re: [Issue 870] New - import should set svn:executable automatically

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Hmmm.  Eeeuuww :-).  Thanks for pointing this out.  Can you stick this
in the issue, so it's noticed when someone starts thinking about
coding?

Solution: maybe don't notice x-bit by default, but offer a flag (long
opt only) to notice & use it?  People will often forget the flag even
when they want it, which is too bad, but at least it's there for those
who remember...

-K

Posted by Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <mi...@pld.ORG.PL>.
Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx> writes:

> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 12:08, issues@subversion.tigris.org wrote:
> > + When importing, we should detect executableness on files and set the
> > + svn:executable property automatically.
>
> One problem: if I mount an smb share in Linux, (almost) all files are
> executable, whether they should be or not.  This is because Windows doesn't
> have an executable bit, and Samba uses those bits to store Windows' archive,
> read-only and system attributes.

smbmount(8):

       fmask=<arg>
              sets  the  file mask. This determines the permissions that remote
              files have in the local  filesystem.  The default is based on the
              current umask.

       dmask=<arg>
              sets the directory mask. This determines the permissions that
              remote directories have  in the local filesystem.  The default
              is based on the current umask.

> So this might not be totally reliable, and I'd rather have to go through and
> manually set svn:executable on my few executable files than have to unset it
> on all my other files.
So mount with proper mount options and then set svn:executable manually. Should
work.

--
Arkadiusz Miƛkiewicz   IPv6 ready PLD Linux at http://www.pld.org.pl
misiek(at)pld.org.pl   AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PWr