Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by cipher crypted <xc...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/22 20:54:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Total newbie to Apache Web Server with start up issue

Greetings,

First, I apologize in advance to anyone and everyone involved that I will insult, confuse, agitate, etc, if my email is NOT up to the standards documented on your site. I've read briefly your guidelines for posting and for users obtaining information regarding their issues, questions, etc, and quite frankly, I would pass out trying to find answers and support to my question in the labyrinth that is your site, before I would actually find my answers. So, I'm praying this email will get the ball rolling for the support I need.

Second, my issue. As the subject states, I am completely new to your web server project and recently downloaded your server as part of a software bundle named 'XAMPP'. I have posted my issue on their forums and I understand what I'm supposed to do, I just cant figure out how to do it on my system.

Apache is NOT running on my system, according to the XAMPP control panel which would indicate if it was running by displaying the word 'running' with a green-colored background. MySql server is running perfectly and is displayed as such as I mentioned above.

I have performed netstat commands on DOS and have located port 80 (I'm told should be used for Apache), and I've been told port 443 should also be used for Apache, but I have not been able to find this port on DOS (the closest port number I always see is 445). Every time I check processes running on my system on Task Manager, I find TWO Apache.exe processes running, but only ONE is reflected in netstat's results. I did mention this to XAMPP support and they told me one is or should be the daemon process. Is there a GUI in Windows for locating ports and assigning them? I found this running IIS, but disabled IIS to install XAMPP as my XP Home Edition OS does not include IISS, and I can't to save my life find a GUI in Windows to assign ports to other processes that may be blocking the port(s) I need to run Apache.

The original and ONLY error message I'm basing my issue on is a 'The requested URL /helloWorld.php was not found on this server.' I'm sure many of you are familiar with the rest of this message which notes version 1.3.24 and port 80 in it.

This is my only use for your server, coding in PHP for web design and web-based services. My apologies again, if I've now "hurt" anyone with this sentence.

So, finally, my question, how can I get Apache started and keep it running on my system? As I mentioned in the beginning, I pray I've provided as much information as possible to be worthy of receiving support for my question/issue.

Best regards.

Thank you and God bless all!

Re: [users@httpd] Total newbie to Apache Web Server with start up issue

Posted by cipher crypted <xc...@yahoo.com>.
I will now, using the link provided. As I'm new to Apache, I'm new to your site as well.

Thank you, all!

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Posted by Arthur Pesa <ap...@arthurpesa.com>.
Your problem seems two fold. One your using windows XP Home edition as a
development platform, so you are already handicapped wrt tools and
logging and software that more robust Windows platforms have (I know I
said Windows and robust in the same sentence).

But, I have a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop with all kinds of MS VS tools
that I really don't use so I installed apache 2.2 binary and went about
configuring..

Chances are more than very high that you have something running on 80,
8080 and 443, otherwise Apache would have been bound to 80 already. I
know you said you tried netstat, but try it again like this:

$ netstat -ab | more  this will allow you to page through the output
since it is long and may run past you cmd buffer, just hit the space bar
to move through the output. When I did this I saw what had grabbed these
ports...

good luck,
Pat

Posted by cipher crypted <xc...@yahoo.com>.